Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Philosophy

Originally posted by WeeMouse@4 June 2003 - 18:14
    Philosophy is trying to discover why. At least that is the Mouse's humble understanding!

I've never really been bothered with why. If I ask myself a question, I want to be sure that there is an answer for it (ie where is the cheeeez? Oh yeah - I ate it all&#33

but then again, i am very tired....
    why what? there are many umbrella questions (ie. meaning of life, existence of god, etc..) and tons of questions under those. i have a debate next tuesday. and a project due friday. the project is on "what is art" and my debate topic is "a govt's primary objective is to ensure stability and prosperity in society at ALL COSTS" . i am against this. can you guys give me some points for it??

2. Lounge   -   #12
    Skweeky's Avatar Manker's web totty
    /me loves philosophy

I took this logics-class at uni last semester and it was pretty cool. With philosophy you can prove anything

3. Lounge   -   #13
    imported_stg1123
    Z that is a very heavy topic and if you are against it that is going to be a tough one but not impossible. Which side of the debate do you need points for?

4. Lounge   -   #14
    A ? for you Philisopical people

To What Extent Can Thought Develop Without Language?

5. Lounge   -   #15
    Originally posted by stg1123@4 June 2003 - 18:20
    Z that is a very heavy topic and if you are against it that is going to be a tough one but not impossible. Which side of the debate do you need points for?
    i am against the statement. so far i have:
    - people's rights and freedoms should not be violated
    - a perfect society is almost considered communism, and has many fallacies.

i am going to focus on the part "at all costs" because that is the big issue. no wanted this side of this topic (i had a different one before) but i volunteered to suck up to the teacher. shes such a joker. neways, some other guy joined me, so at least im not by myself. the other side is four people i think. damn.

6. Lounge   -   #16
    Skweeky's Avatar Manker's web totty
    Originally posted by Kid1A@5 June 2003 - 00:23
    A ? for you Philisopical people

To What Extent Can Thought Develop Without Language?
    tricky one....

thoughts often are more images then anything else....but language helps you to develop urself....

I think thought without knowing language are more pretty limited

7. Lounge   -   #17
    Ex-member
    Philosophy is whatever you make it to be.

8. Lounge   -   #18
    imported_stg1123
    @Z
    ok. A perfect society is in truth a synthesis between the good of the group existing in a balance with the good of the individual. So the individuals rights are affected when a government can take any actions form an "at all costs" perspective. I have an old line which says that a governments job is to make sure the trash is taken away and our toilets flush propewrly through a decent sewege system. When they get that right they can start with health, eduaction, welfare, etc. If the government are running the country correctly (see it like a business) then they should be in profit like any well running company and then they wouldn't need "all costs" to ensure wealth and stability.
    another point. Stability is a personal thing, you could argue that it has nothing to do with the govt. and that man's stability is dependant on a variety of personal and interpersonal factors.
    Hope that helps a little

9. Lounge   -   #19
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    how can you learn philosophy. i thought it was stuff what people think up

10. Lounge   -   #20
    Originally posted by Lamsey@4 June 2003 - 23:34
    Philosophy is whatever you make it to be.
    Look a glibbist.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast