Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have downloaded an NZB file, now what!!

Unsure

Hi, I have downloaded an NZB file (4 GB movie) using Grab It. It has downloaded a load of WinRAR and PAR2 files to a folder. I have run Quick Par on a PAR2 file and it said 'no recovery needed'. What do I need to do with these files now to watch the movie???

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by mvern9 View Post
    Hi, I have downloaded an NZB file (4 GB movie) using Grab It. It has downloaded a load of WinRAR and PAR2 files to a folder. I have run Quick Par on a PAR2 file and it said 'no recovery needed'. What do I need to do with these files now to watch the movie???
    Extract them with winrar (right click and extract...)

After that I guess you end up with an ISO or a IMG file. That can be mounted in a virtual CD-ROM that you can get by using Daemon Tools: (http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/down...tegory&catid=5)

You can also use Nero or some other burning app to burn the DVD image (the file) to create a movie DVD.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    That seems alot of work just to watch the movie on my pc!

I've recently tried usenext which has a built in wizard that sorts all this out for you. It downloads all the winRAR files but ends up just giving you the HD mkv / wmv file. Simple.

Is this always the case when downloading movies from usenet using NZB files?

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    Alt binz does everything:

http://www.altbinz.com/

Just use a couple of minutes to go through the options and this proggy does a very good job.

It also just downloads the needed PAR2 files to check repair the downloaded files, saves you from downloading all the PAR2 files in most cases.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Renegade.99
    If the file you're trying to download is an .avi movie, u can use this -
    http://www.nzbplayer.com/

You just load in the nzb file and the movie will start playing after its downloaded the first file.

*EDIT* soz, 4 GB is obviously a DVD so this wont be much use to u, my bad
    Last edited by Renegade.99; 04-27-2007 at 09:28 PM.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Thanks for your help guys. Have now swiched to Alt.Binz which does this auto for me. Works great!!

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    The problem (and you'll run into it sooner or later) is the source of that nzb; IF the poster generated it when they posted the files, then they (and you) are betting that the transfer was 100% 'effective'. If it wasn't (and many servers 'miss' or 'skip' parts) you'll be spending a large amount of time 'repairing' (filling in) the missing parts with quickpar (or however your d/l'er handles such).

IF the nzb was generated by either yourself (from a search or whatever), you still have the possibility of 'skipping' parts as well. Hopefull, you get enough par files to 'fill in' the missing parts, and that the original poster made such parts (and posted them) to begin with. You'll eventually (like I said) see a fair amount of message traffic going back and forth from folks clawing their way trying to get just enough pars to repair what they've d/l'ed.

Super-premium servers have, to an extent, made these possibiliteis minimal, but they still exist. Not everybody uses them to post, and even when they 'originate' at one of the super-majors, there are 'gaps' in either the transmission, so to speak.

So, not everything is as automated as it seems on the face of it. Some 'human' intervention is occasionally required.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    ..:: c.R ::..'s Avatar Φ MySpace_SuK(s

Dry

I've recently tried usenext which has a built in wizard that sorts all this out for you. It downloads all the winRAR files but ends up just giving you the HD mkv / wmv file. Simple.

i can't belive someone is actually complaining about something like this when they have access to FULL dvd quality rips for FREE.

Come on, if you want little "do-it-all" scripts then just be careful when things change and stuff gets more complicated in the near future. You might not remember the good ol' yEnc controversy a few years back that caught a lot of people that liked their usenet "simple" off guard and in the dark.

Just get use to using WinRar and QuickPar correctly and you should be MORE then fine. If you would like to watch IMG files on your PC, then you are asking for a lot of wasted resources. Either d/l a Xvid release of the same file; which is always available or simply burn the IMG/ISO and watch it on your home dvd player.

Good luck and stay safe.
    "Of the delights of this world, man cares most for sexual intercourse. He will go to any length for it-risk fortune, character, reputation, life itself." -Mark Twain

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Colt Seevers's Avatar P()()p!3 $CR/-\P3R$ BT Rep: +3

What a lazy basturd.

Want us to come round and watch the film for you as well?

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast