Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hoi Rossco

Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut

Tongue

Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley View Post
    How do you work that one out, Henderson.
    See here:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley
    Shirley only people with powers would be involved in the hierarchy.
    I have powers...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley
    And also, does that mean that RealitY is in charge and Tesco is like his lieutenant.
    No. They're both red. You see, it's color coded so even the simplest of minds can understand.
    Last edited by Hairbautt; 04-30-2007 at 09:49 PM.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

2. Lounge   -   #22
    tesco's Avatar woowoo

And also, does that mean that RealitY is in charge and Tesco is like his lieutenant.
    both of us are 'managers'

Here's a little story/background...
    RealitY and I were scared that, if the site gets taken down (this was at the time of a lot of torrent sites getting shut down, and we got paranoid ), we could be sued, when we don't even own the website...
    So we just thoguht that we'd leave the administrator title to rookiecrd1 (the owner) and we'd give ourselves a new group.
    We then couldn't think of anyhtig good so I came up with site manager and reality changed it to manager.
    The idea is if the site was to get taken down only rookie's name is there under administrator.

Also manager technically has more privs than administrator. so hairbautt is wrong.

3. Lounge   -   #23
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    wtf that's harsh

Could FST really be taken down? Flippin' NZB
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

4. Lounge   -   #24
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairbautt View Post
    wtf that's harsh

Could FST really be taken down? Flippin' NZB
    probly not.

rookie agreed to it, so not harsh.

5. Lounge   -   #25
    Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco View Post

RealitY and I were scared that, if the site gets taken down (this was at the time of a lot of torrent sites getting shut down, and we got paranoid ), we could be sued, when we don't even own the website...
    So we just thoguht that we'd leave the administrator title to rookiecrd1 (the owner) and we'd give ourselves a new group.
    We then couldn't think of anyhtig good so I came up with site manager and reality changed it to manager.
    The idea is if the site was to get taken down only rookie's name is there under administrator.

Also manager technically has more privs than administrator. so hairbautt is wrong.

Forgive me for pointing this out but the title you have means fuck all. It's your position and responsibility within the forum which matters. I suspect Rookie knows that.

He's not actually doing anything or making any decisions, so there's hardly a prima facie case against him.

Look up the phrases actus reus and mens rea. Those are the kind of important concepts you need to know.

True story.
    "there is nothing misogynistic about anything, stop trippin.
    i type this way because im black and from nyc chill son "

6. Lounge   -   #26
    tesco's Avatar woowoo

Forgive me for pointing this out but the title you have means fuck all. It's your position and responsibility within the forum which matters. I suspect Rookie knows that.

He's not actually doing anything or making any decisions, so there's hardly a prima facie case against him.

Look up the phrases actus reus and mens rea. Those are the kind of important concepts you need to know.

True story.
    The actus reus — sometimes called the external elements of a crime — is the Latin term for the "guilty act" which, when proved beyond a reasonable doubt in combination with the mens rea, i.e., the "guilty mind", produces criminal liability in common law-based criminal law jurisdictions Canada, New Zealand, England, Scotland and the United States. In the United States, some crimes also require proof of an attendant circumstance.

I know the title means fuck-all. But if there's a chance it could save us then is it not worth it to try?

Anyway there's little chance the site would ever get shut down anyway, and if it was it wouldn't go straight to court to sue for millions.

7. Lounge   -   #27
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    The actus reus — sometimes called the external elements of a crime — is the Latin term for the "guilty act" which, when proved beyond a reasonable doubt in combination with the mens rea, i.e., the "guilty mind", produces criminal liability in common law-based criminal law jurisdictions Canada, New Zealand, England, Scotland and the United States. In the United States, some crimes also require proof of an attendant circumstance.

I know the title means fuck-all. But if there's a chance it could save us then is it not worth it to try?

Anyway there's little chance the site would ever get shut down anyway, and if it was it wouldn't go straight to court to sue for millions.
    Surely there would be a cease and desist prior to pulling the plug and suing the one behind the button.

Most companies and organizations, even the RIAA, try to reach a mutual compromise before seeking costly litigation.

Even that might cause me to take a vacation from the forum.

yo

8. Lounge   -   #28

True story.

No, when it means fuck all, it means fuck all. It's really that simple, call yourself the Grand Poobah if you want, it matters not one jot. What matters is what one does and what one's knowledge of any offence was. Basically, did you know you were doing something wrong and did you do it anyway.

Now Rookie, whilst owning the site, doesn't actually do anything. Doesn't post and here's the good bit, doesn't allow people to post things like nzb files. So, much as he owns the place he doesn't actually do anything. He doesn't do anything wrong, so he's in the clear. No actus reus, no crime and no prospect of being sued.

On the other hand, the people who are making the decisions to allow access to illicit copyright material, that's another story. The only thing left to prove is mens rea, did they know that they were doing something wrong. Well, it would be difficult to get into the position of being admin on such a board without knowing a good bit about the subject. Particularly if one's own posts demonstrated said knowledge.

The most interesting part of the board, evidence wise, would be "team chat". Where decisions are made and discussions recorded. That allied to board announcements and relative degrees of authority would form the basis of any case, civil or criminal. I would suspect civil, unless you are making some form of personal profit. Then you would really be fucked.

I assumed that you lot had thought that thro'.

9. Lounge   -   #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post

Surely there would be a cease and desist prior to pulling the plug and suing the one behind the button.

Most companies and organizations, even the RIAA, try to reach a mutual compromise before seeking costly litigation.

Even that might cause me to take a vacation from the forum.
    For a private individual, yes.

However for one of the most prominent file sharing boards on the internet, why would you even think that.

Try to distinguish between one person downloading music files and a forum dedicated to downloading anything and assisting hundreds of people in doing it.

Which would you attack if you wanted to stop "file sharing". I know where I would start, it would include infiltrating said forums and finding out who was who. Who were the players, so to speak.

10. Lounge   -   #30
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    I'm just a caretaker ffs.

I would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for those pesky kids

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast