Thread: Seedbox - need help before thinking of getting one

Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Hi people

Im thinking of getting a seedbox but not cos i want high ratios etc's or have problems seeding. As on most of my accounts iv got good ratios. The reason im thinking of getting 1 is because of get a blind sister who likes lots of mp3' & audio books. She would rather listen to music than watch tv. She can use a PC with her speech software to surf the net & read emails in outlook but yet been able to master torrents & with some torrent sites having loads of links on a page IMO it will take her a while to actually look for what she wants. An as she is in a different town to me it can take me time to be able to put stuff to disk & take them to her.

So the idea iv got is to get a seed box i download the stuff she wants to that & then she gets it from the seed box. But what i want to know is:

1. How do you connect to a seedbox?
    2. what language is the software if you use any . i.e is the software java based ect. as the speech software dose not work with java.
    3. Dose the progamme that is used to access the seedbox work well with keyboard short cut keys, as being blind my sister would never be able to use the mouse to use it.
    4. dose any one know what sort of price i would be looking at for a seedbox with a 30-50GB hard drive & just need to make sure its got some good download & upload speeds.

I would be very great full if any1 could answer the questions for me
    Cheers

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Most of your questions can probably be answered here - https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/bitto...seedbox-152272

My suggestion is to get a news server instead.

yo

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    I did have a quick look at that thread but all i could really find was info on which company's were safe to use & which ones not....plus a bit of info on prices. Couldnt find anything on there to tell me if the software used to access the seedbox was easy to use with the keyboard.

An i might be a noob here but whats a news server & whats the difference between a seed box & a news server?

Cheers

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrfun1981 View Post
    I did have a quick look at that thread but all i could really find was info on which company's were safe to use & which ones not....plus a bit of info on prices. Couldnt find anything on there to tell me if the software used to access the seedbox was easy to use with the keyboard.

An i might be a noob here but whats a news server & whats the difference between a seed box & a news server?

Cheers
    A seedbox is where you waste spend money on a server to increase your torrent upload speeds.

For the same amount of money (+/-), you could get a news server in which to download files utilizing the newsgroups method.

You'll get a vastly better file selection and you'll max out your connection speed. There is also no seeding, uploading, or silly ratios to worry about.

yo

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    ^^^^ Thanks for that.

1st thing i know nowt about newsgroups.
    2nd a better file section dont really matter to me, as most of the stuff i would be getting for my sister would be loads of the audio books & music from somewhere like oink & similar places

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    zehsay's Avatar trance lover BT Rep: +3
    How does the newsgroups system work?

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by yashez View Post
    How does the newsgroups system work?
    https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-new...e-grabit-69159

yo

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Village Idiot
    People need to use the search button

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    If u still wanna get a seedbox leeware offer pretty good deals for only 20$ per month check out the link http://www.leeware.com/product.html
    Its the "Webmin VPS 100"
    Plenty of space and good speeds. Only prob is I dunno if ur sisters speech software would work with web-based linux client

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Thanks for that link i see its month by month, so i guess i could pay for 1 month test it out. An if it dont work just dont have it again

Il be great full if any one else has any other ideas

Thanks