Thread: Help me getting connectable

Well, here's the deal... A friend of mine installed LogmeIn on one of his PCs and then he gave me access to it and said that it's a gift for me, so it's basically mine (to control). It has a 100/50mbps connection He gets the internet for free from the nearby university. The thing is that all of the ports are blocked, so I'm not connectable when I try to download a torrent so I can seed it back and raise my ratio up.
    When I did a ipconfig in cmd, it returned the default gateway... So, when I typed that I expected to see a routers page and then I would just open the needed ports, but nope It was a simple window popping out in Firefox saying (like logging into a ftp server): level 15 access and it required a username & password. Of course, I don't know them or else I wouldn't be typing this Is there any way to get some ports unlocked so my torrent client could utilize those freaking nice 50mbps?
    I don't think so but I still have some hope in getting this problem resolved. Any idea is appreciated.
    Last edited by TheManMKD; 04-30-2007 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Bump

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Poster BT Rep: +5
    Go to control panel --> administrative tools --> services

7. Now go to control panel --> add and remove programs --> add and remove windows components

13. This is what the rule looks like

14. Now click on add and create a rule for your computer, for utorrent you should create 2 rules one for TCP and one for UDP both with the same port number

Get your IP address by going to control panel --> internet connections then right click on your local area network icon and choose status, under the support tab you can see your IP associated to your by the router

Supposedly this way you can open ports in your router even if you don't have the username and password, I didn't try this method myself but the secret is in step 9 and 10, you should be able to see that internet connection icon to open ports, if you can't, try installing all the network components in step 9 or at least the peer to peer one.

If you can see the icon in step 10 already, try to go from there without all the previous steps.
    Last edited by prima1; 05-01-2007 at 08:09 AM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Holly smoke... You deserve some cash for this mega post I can see you put a lot of effort into making this I will test it later on tomorrow, cause I don't have the time to do the procedure now.
    If you need a favor pm me, I might have something to offer in return, though I doubt it
    Thank you once again, even if it doesn't help me, someone fill surely find it useful.

Edit: Oh, and I forgot, this applies to XP SP2 only?
    Last edited by TheManMKD; 05-01-2007 at 08:13 AM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Obviously and eggspert. Couldn't you just ask your friend for the information you need? Or did I miss something

Something else, for all our tax-dodging, hard working students..ever thought about the ports they can't block?

Don't ask me now which ones they may be, in time the penny might fall; also we do expect some return from you, you know. Post them here, once you have them catalogued.

Quote Originally Posted by prima1 View Post
    Go to control panel --> administrative tools --> services

7. Now go to control panel --> add and remove programs --> add and remove windows components

13. This is what the rule looks like

14. Now click on add and create a rule for your computer, for utorrent you should create 2 rules one for TCP and one for UDP both with the same port number

Get your IP address by going to control panel --> internet connections then right click on your local area network icon and choose status, under the support tab you can see your IP associated to your by the router

Supposedly this way you can open ports in your router even if you don't have the username and password, I didn't try this method myself but the secret is in step 9 and 10, you should be able to see that internet connection icon to open ports, if you can't, try installing all the network components in step 9 or at least the peer to peer one.

If you can see the icon in step 10 already, try to go from there without all the previous steps.
    This is great. I have a few visual guides I need to create myself, any chance you might find some spare time to help me ?
    Last edited by thewizeard; 05-01-2007 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    I'm not sure if you understood me thewizeard. My friend that gave me access to the PC doesn't use a username & password for the connection. As he explained to me, he just sticks a network cable in a "box" in his house (yes, he gets the internet not for being a student, but living in that neighborhood). He didn't have time to chat about that so called box, and I don't know what that is supposed to be. As he said, it has only 2 ports, as in a modem, and it's locked.
    And yes, I know about the ports 80 (default http port), 443, 6667 and how they can't be blocked in order to browse the web. Trust me, I tried using those ports, and I still wasn't connectable and the speeds were slow.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    deuce6000's Avatar Go Giants!! BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Man please noone else quote the dude that made it great tutorial though.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Poster BT Rep: +5
    I think it should work for XP Sp1 too, but the network components that you need to install have different names
    but the name has uPnP in it, anyway, install them all just to be safe.

I did not try this myself, nor do I take credit for it, I just took a few screenshots, believe me it's easier than writing it all down and then having to answer the questions.

And thanks TheManMKD, I don't need anything in return, I am just helping because when I ask I would like to receive help too.
    Last edited by prima1; 05-01-2007 at 09:07 AM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    fisz's Avatar Dont read this!! BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    hmm... upnp is just a tool to configure some basic stuff (like port forwarding) on router (WHICH HAS ENABLED UPNP). There is no other/better way than contacting administrator of that network. Why? if he allows port forwarding , he will set it for you. If port forwarding is not available, you just cant do anything. even if you will set ports through upnp admin will eventually find out about it so why cant you contact him know. I dint know why you think that not having forwarded port, can be fixed by you? Its university network so port forwarding may be forbidden.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    I will try the method in 2-3 hours, so I'll let you know if I had any luck

Edit: It all goes smooth till step 10, but as I suspected, I couldn't see the Internet Connections in my Network Connections. I tried installing all of the components in step 9, still no success.
    I guess that upnp isn't enabled on that router
    Is there something else I can try or that was my last chance? Anyways, awesome tut, I hope someone will benefit from it
    Last edited by TheManMKD; 05-02-2007 at 07:23 PM.