Thread: Artifacts after new XP install

mike45450's Avatar =_=_=
    I've run into a problem which is really quite frustrating. Yesterday I 'obtained' WinXP Pro Corporate w/ SP2 integrated (March 07 edition). It installed fine, or so I thought. Everything was going well, and then I started to install all the drivers and stuff and the problems started when I installed the 7.4 Catalyst drivers for my 9800 Pro. When I installed them, the computer wouldn't even get to the login screen. So I went to safe mode, uninstalled them (and used Driver Cleaner Pro) and tried 7.3 instead. It worked fine once, but after about 20 minutes I saw artifacts all over the screen as I moved the curser around more, and then it eventually froze. Now i'm seeing artifacts eventually everytime I use the computer, and with no graphics drivers installed.

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the situation? Could it be a software problem, or is it my graphics card is buggered? When I get home i'm gonna install my 5200FX (lol...it's the only spare card I got) and see if it is my graphics card. In the mean time i'd greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks guys

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    It is unlikely to be a problem with the drivers.

Have you overclocked the graphics card?
    That and other hardware related problems are usually the only reasons to get artefacts.

Have a look in the event log and see if there are any entries related to the times when it crashed.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    The motherboard has a video chip that communicates with the card, did you install your motherboard vga drivers before the card drivers?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    mike45450's Avatar =_=_=
    Yeah, I think I did.

Anyway, I think it may be fixed...sorta. Just as I was preparing to switch in my old 5200, I decided to try the 7.3 drivers one more time, and it worked! No artifacts, though it has crashed a few times tonight...

Still, it's usable in it's current state so hopefully it won't explode anytime too soon.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by mike45450 View Post
    Yeah, I think I did.

Anyway, I think it may be fixed...sorta. Just as I was preparing to switch in my old 5200, I decided to try the 7.3 drivers one more time, and it worked! No artifacts, though it has crashed a few times tonight...

Still, it's usable in it's current state so hopefully it won't explode anytime too soon.

But are n't you curious why it's crashing ? Well friend at lest you have a spare vid card to swap out , have you tried that . ? I'd delete drivers with a clean up tool like Driver Cleaner then start fresh with updated drivers.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Securit...-Cleaner.shtml

In my limited experience its one of three things , Heat , Drivers , Psu .

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    When I switched from my onboard video to my x300 card whicc is PCI-E, in the booklet, it said to change the main video imput in the bios to the PCI-E slot as you can change it to different settings like PCI, PCI-E, and onboard. And because of that, your 9800 Pro might be messing with the onboard video, hence the reason why it might be crashing and the computer screwing up.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by mike45450 View Post
    Yeah, I think I did.

"Sorta" is the operative word here.
    If you're running a fresh load of Windows and the PC crashes "a few times", then something is wrong...seriously.

Obviously, you and I differ on the definition of "usable in it's current state".
    Mine doesn't include crashing- ever.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg