Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DHT good or bad?

clos's Avatar The Zinc Saucier BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    I just got a PM from a tracker saying that some clients have DHT enabled, and that it is considered a form of cheating, and everyone should disable DHT if it is indeed enabled. uTorrent comes with DHT on by default, so I'm sure many people had that problem.

Will DHT affect how I upload or download, or should I not have it on?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Gish's Avatar Seeda from Hell BT Rep: +14BT Rep +14BT Rep +14
    Distributed hash tables (DHTs)
    affects the amount of people that connect to any torrent you are ul/dl. it is helpful if your on a public site because it searches for other seeders on other public trackers with the same file you are downloading. say you are downloading a movie torrent off of torrentleech(a Private site) and since your DHT is set to on it enables other people not a part of torrentleech to connect to that torrent and leech off of you and since that person does not have an account their you basically are giving that person the file and sharing private tracker material on public trackers. This is not only against the rules/cheating but can compremize your safety and others safety since the person can see your IP!
    so you can see with DHT off it improves your overall safety because it only connects to that trackers users and no one else!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_hash_table

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    josephs911's Avatar Member BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Quote Originally Posted by gish View Post
    Distributed hash tables (DHTs)
    affects the amount of people that connect to any torrent you are ul/dl. it is helpful if your on a public site because it searches for other seeders on other public trackers with the same file you are downloading. say you are downloading a movie torrent off of torrentleech(a Private site) and since your DHT is set to on it enables other people not a part of torrentleech to connect to that torrent and leech off of you and since that person does not have an account their you basically are giving that person the file and sharing private tracker material on public trackers. This is not only against the rules/cheating but can compremize your safety and others safety since the person can see your IP!
    so you can see with DHT off it improves your overall safety because it only connects to that trackers users and no one else!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_hash_table
    agrees
    they dont like it because you are sending data to users who do what ever they want and be held accountable for downloading it.
    “When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    thegman24's Avatar 100% American BadA$$ BT Rep: +2
    You have to be careful with DHT's, most public sites (TLeech for example) wont allow them and will ban you for allowing non-members to leech your seed, which you got from a private tracker!! Kind of defeats the whole purpose of private trackers, doesn't it! Hope this helps... thegman24
    Last edited by thegman24; 05-01-2007 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Spelling

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Night0wl's Avatar GoaHead BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Well if you want just everyone to connect to you it's good (on public trackers without ratio that is)

Never use DHT on any torrents from any site that's private. Even if it's open signup. If the site counts ratio, everything you upload to peers that does not go through the tracker won't be counted, resulting in bad ratio and in many cases being banned.

Disable Peer Exchange as well, because you can get non registered peers that way as well if someone else has DHT on.

When on any private tracker, you just accept peers from that tracker.
    Last edited by Blue_Skies; 05-02-2007 at 01:18 AM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Gish's Avatar Seeda from Hell BT Rep: +14BT Rep +14BT Rep +14
    one more thing! if you are downloading off a public site and DHT is on it connects you to other nodes and peers quick for faster file transfer which can also be very good. don't think DHT is bad unless you are talking about private sites. having DHT "off" on private sites does not affect speeds at all so don't think you are going to download faster with it on unless you are using a public site. I always have it off for safety reasons including peer exchange weather using private or public.
    Last edited by Gish; 05-02-2007 at 02:57 AM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    kirktrix's Avatar Killing Zone BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Is azureus got dht? How can i disable it? i try to find it but i can't see it.........any help or info? Tnx..
    "Death is the result of weakness. The strong are the only ones who survive."

“I am prepared to die, but there is no cause for which I am prepared to kill.”

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Go to Tools --> Options it's on the first page

Remember to press save after the changes have been made, and then you have to restart Azureus

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Poster BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Skies View Post
    Well if you want just everyone to connect to you it's good (on public trackers without ratio that is)

Never use DHT on any torrents from any site that's private. Even if it's open signup. If the site counts ratio, everything you upload to peers that does not go through the tracker won't be counted, resulting in bad ratio and in many cases being banned.

Disable Peer Exchange as well, because you can get non registered peers that way as well if someone else has DHT on.

When on any private tracker, you just accept peers from that tracker.
    I think the ratio will still be counted and this is why they consider it a form of cheating, because you will upload a lot to peers connected through DHT and it WILL be counted. The tracker gets its statistics from the client.

Also DHT shouldn't work on private trackers anyway cuz the torrents are private. So I don't know why SCN wants people to turn it off!

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Pretty strange then that people using DHT always have trouble getting upload counted then. I have seen 100s of those the ratio is all wrong threads since I started using BitTorrent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast