Thread: I wanna work in Africa...

Does anyone know much about working in Africa? I wanna be a business consultant over there, but no nothing of Africa.

What country to choose? Any decent websites to check out? Any companies you can recommend?

I've had enough of Beijing.

Thanks guys!

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Don't think I can help, but why Africa?

If your intent is altruistic rather than personal enrichment, be prepared to fully insinuate yourself into the international political arena, with all the attendant red tape and shadiness.

If it's the other, you're probably talking South Africa.

Just speculating, of course.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Well, i started doing analysis in the UK, found it a dead and over saturated market. Came to China, moved into consultancy, thinking i was helping a struggling developing nation. I've personally found over $14 billion of acquisitions, market entries, joint ventures since i've been doing it. Now, this place markets itself very well as a poor, please help us country. They are a very rich country, sadly with corrupt politicians....like the rest of the world.

So, i wanna go to Africa. Why? Well, at the grand old age of 25, i want to feel like i'm helping countries that genuinely need the investment. Granted, my Florence Nightingale thoughts have limits. I don't wanna go somewhere i'm gonna get shot now or in the near future. I also wanna go where there isn't a million and one other British consultants already fighting over a dime. I reckon if i can find such a place, i can help and also make some money doing it.

Ok, how about this.....list what countries you know i definitely SHOULDN'T go. You know, Sudan and other such mid-civil-war places.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    I'd say you were gambling no matter where you went in Africa, absent enough specific knowledge to pick wisely, but even then I'd guess any situation you'd find tenable would also be transient.

You best bet might be to go as part of a diplomatic mission, and that would probably mean U.K., U.S., or France.

Doesn't sound like such a good fit, then.

Going it alone would likely make you a pigeon for anyone who notices you as an outsider.

Perhaps your first step ought to be finding someone more knowledgeable than yours truly.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    I'd say you were gambling no matter where you went in Africa, absent enough specific knowledge to pick wisely, but even then I'd guess any situation you'd find tenable would also be transient.

You best bet might be to go as part of a diplomatic mission, and that would probably mean U.K., U.S., or France.

Going it alone would likely make you a pigeon for anyone who notices you as an outsider.

Perhaps your first step ought to be finding someone more knowledgeable than yours truly.
    Don't get me wrong, i want to work for a firm already established in Africa, with a look to going on my own in 5 years. Problem with diplomatic missions is they are reallystrict on their selection, needing certificates for this that and this. So i'd look for a corporate route into Africa.

Granted, it's a risk. But that's what everyone said when i came to China. I thinkj i'll email a few embassies here in Beijing to see if tyhey can suggest anything.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo12345 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

Don't get me wrong, i want to work for a firm already established in Africa, with a look to going on my own in 5 years. Problem with diplomatic missions is they are reallystrict on their selection, needing certificates for this that and this. So i'd look for a corporate route into Africa.

Granted, it's a risk. But that's what everyone said when i came to China. I thinkj i'll email a few embassies here in Beijing to see if tyhey can suggest anything.
    Sounds like a plan.

Apart from that, I'm aware that Saint Gobain (which owns a plant I contract with) has some interests in South Africa, but that would likely be more structured/restrictive than you'd prefer, and as their manufacturing concerns are so wide-ranging, I can't say precisely what they are.

Google is your friend, though...

-Mark Twain