Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uncap dsl speed?

mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    A thought just occured to me. There is cracked firmware availablr for dvd drives and routers, so there should be a way crack a dsl modem's firmware as well, right? Is there a site that has cracked firmware for popular modem brands?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    erm there are plenty of guides out there for routers and such that have differnet firmware mainly to run linux.

the problem is your isp will be measuring all the traffic that is sent to you so it doesn't matter what you do they will know exactly how much you have downloaded.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    I have unlimited uploads and downloads @ 3mbps down, 384 kbps up. I want to see if ther is a way to uncap the speed limit. Sometimes when I'm connected to a really fast torrent, my speed will jump to like 4 mbps for a second or 2 then drop back down to 3 and stay steady. So I know a faster speed is possible. I think it's the modem that the isp sent me that is trying to keep me at 3mbps.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by 4play View Post
    erm there are plenty of guides out there for routers and such that have differnet firmware mainly to run linux.

the problem is your isp will be measuring all the traffic that is sent to you so it doesn't matter what you do they will know exactly how much you have downloaded.
    is tht really possible??
    i have ut-starcomm adsl router and my speeds are 2mb/512k
    can i upgrade firmware and increase d speeds?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    I NEVER said it is possible!

I know in the u.k your local exchange sets your rate so its impossible to actually increase it.

Sometimes when I'm connected to a really fast torrent, my speed will jump to like 4 mbps for a second or 2 then drop back down to 3 and stay steady
    this happens its doesn't mean you where ever getting speeds of 4 its just the program guessing your speed at the time or was a bit slow processing some data so it thinks it recieved more than it really has.

your best bet is paying more for a faster line.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    mikechrobot's Avatar Trader Hater BT Rep: +2
    it is possible to crack cable modems for faster speeds but dsl modem's aren't possible because the speed is capped at the local exchange, just get cable and do it with that

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    well in my case, i dont think the telecom company has got gud enough technology at its exchange
    all i know is tht modem provided to us are set at 2mb/512k.
    and thts d speed we get

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    my isp offers a 6mbps spreed, but they say that it's unavailable in my area. But they deliver to this region through T4 lines, so there's got to be a way to uncap it. Like I said, they don't measure data transfer, but then might keep their eye on speed.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by mbucari1 View Post
    but they will keep their eye on speed.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    lynx's Avatar .
    As has been said many times, dsl speed is governed by the head end (local exchange equipment) and no amount of modification of the modem will change that.

That said, line conditions during the initial training period (usually about a week) may make your speed lower than the allowed maximum, and this won't be helped if your modem has a poor firmware implementation. In that case updating your firmware could improve things, but you would have to ask your ISP to set the line back to training mode in order to benefit from the changes.

Things can be slightly different for cable modems. The speed is controlled by at the client end, configured from information sent from the head end. In theory, if you can modify the firmware to make it use a certain speed and ignore the configuration details from the head end you could get higher throughput.

However, these days most cable ISPs will only allow DOCSIS compliant modems which have a date, password and checksum protected configuration file. If the response returned to the ISP does not match what it should be, the ISP will continue to send configuration packets and the modem won't get online until it supplies a valid response.
    More details here:
    http://www.cable360.net/cableworld/d...ogy/14830.html
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast