Thread: Beer fuel cell

popopot's Avatar To Me, To You BT Rep: +5
    From: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070502/...8IjWC5ytLMWM0F

Scientists and Australian beer maker Foster's are teaming up to generate clean energy from brewery waste water — by using sugar-consuming bacteria.

The experimental technology was unveiled Wednesday by scientists at Australia's University of Queensland, which was given a $115,000 state government grant to install a microbial fuel cell at a Foster's Group brewery near Brisbane, the capital of Queensland state.

The fuel cell is essentially a battery in which bacteria consume water-soluble brewing waste such as sugar, starch and alcohol.

The battery produces electricity plus clean water, said Prof. Jurg Keller, the university's wastewater expert.

The complex technology harnesses the chemical energy that the bacteria releases from the organic material, converting it into electrical energy.

The 660-gallon fuel cell will be 250 times bigger than a prototype that has been operating at the university laboratory for three months, Keller said.

"Brewery waste water is a particularly good source because it is very biodegradable ... and is highly concentrated, which does help in improving the performance of the cell," Keller said.

He expected the brewery cell would produce 2 kilowatts of power — enough to power a household — and the technology would eventually be applied in other breweries and wineries owned by Foster's. The cell should be operating at the brewery by September.

"It's not going to make an enormous amount of power — its primarily a waste water treatment that has the added benefit of creating electricity," Keller said.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1

Sick

Quote Originally Posted by popopot View Post

Scientists and Australian beer maker Foster's are teaming up to generate clean energy from brewery waste water — by using sugar-consuming bacteria.

The experimental technology was unveiled Wednesday by scientists at Australia's University of Queensland, which was given a $115,000 state government grant to install a microbial fuel cell at a Foster's Group brewery near Brisbane, the capital of Queensland state.

The fuel cell is essentially a battery in which bacteria consume water-soluble brewing waste such as sugar, starch and alcohol.

The battery produces electricity plus clean water, said Prof. Jurg Keller, the university's wastewater expert.

The complex technology harnesses the chemical energy that the bacteria releases from the organic material, converting it into electrical energy.

The 660-gallon fuel cell will be 250 times bigger than a prototype that has been operating at the university laboratory for three months, Keller said.

"Brewery waste water is a particularly good source because it is very biodegradable ... and is highly concentrated, which does help in improving the performance of the cell," Keller said.

He expected the brewery cell would produce 2 kilowatts of power — enough to power a household — and the technology would eventually be applied in other breweries and wineries owned by Foster's. The cell should be operating at the brewery by September.

"It's not going to make an enormous amount of power — its primarily a waste water treatment that has the added benefit of creating electricity," Keller said.
    Wrong forum this belongs on the sports forum and also, there are enough gadgets to power the Aussie's pride! Bah Fosters

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by thewizeard View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by popopot View Post

Wrong forum this belongs on the sports forum and also, there are enough gadgets to power the Aussie's pride! Bah Fosters
    I think you should stop dumping these here I am the only one who ever seems to reply, that out of politeness and a little embarassment for the time it takes for someone to reply..thats why I reply. Try The Bittorrent forum, ( they can't even read there)..or failing that, try movies.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    As long as you reply, thats all that matters. Its all for you.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    I know, maybe we oeps... said that word again... us could apply for a discovery forum?

6. Lounge   -   #6
    It gets my vote......and will get my spam.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    It would be easier for both of us in the long run. I would be polite and wipe my shoes as I arrive to read your stunning revelations, that seem to spin before our eyes in ever increasing tempo.These sort of subjects are often interesting anyway, and one often gleans unexpected knowledge.. As long as it doesn't mention monkeys and mankind in the same sentence, all should go well; especially not recommended for in the drawing room, that was a mega-bad-decision.with that cross-eyed eagle waiting to swoop on any movement made.. That is the first rule of safe reporting in off-topic sections by the way./

For the Lounge, best is: rule 1. plenty of nudes and smilies, few words, a few erotic ones will be OK, as long as they don't exceed the boredom frontier of 4 letters, none of which are allowed to include an X. Rule two. Is as you guessed, read Try to find someone who can read, and ask them to read rule one for you.