Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Scottish Executive Elections

Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    Voted as ever. I don't view it as a chore - more as purchasing the right to complain like feck about the useless eedjits.

In short, the electorate have tied them all up a treat
    I agree with the former, totally.

However for the latter I am more inclined to the view that the Westminster Govt neutered the Nats with the Scotland Act. Unless there is a complete turnaround by the Lib Dems on their position re independence how are the SNP ever going to get a shot at independence. Short of getting a wheen of seats themselves.
    "there is nothing misogynistic about anything, stop trippin.
    i type this way because im black and from nyc chill son "

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    So, the upshot, then:

Are you reasonably sanguine about the results?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    gratex
    There will be some behind the scenes deal that negates a referendum but gives more devolved powers to the executive, it seems the only likely result of this and raises eyebrows as far as how convenient the results are for the above to happen. Obviously labour were going to get trounced it was just a question of how much, and this result seems like just enough to appease disgruntled nationalists ... until the pressure lightens.

The mind boggles though, at how people don't bat an eyelid when people like Menzies Campbell says there will be no referendum. Is this democracy?

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    So, the upshot, then:

No, not at all. However it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be, being a Labour supporter.

The Lib Dems are in a really strong bargaining position just now, so unless the Nats are willing to compromise, a lot, then they may not be able to get a majority coalition.

It's even a possibility that we'll have to do it all again. If a First Minister can't be elected within 28 days.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    Quote Originally Posted by gratex View Post
    There will be some behind the scenes deal that negates a referendum but gives more devolved powers to the executive, it seems the only likely result of this and raises eyebrows as far as how convenient the results are for the above to happen. Obviously labour were going to get trounced it was just a question of how much, and this result seems like just enough to appease disgruntled nationalists ... until the pressure lightens.

The mind boggles though, at how people don't bat an eyelid when people like Menzies Campbell says there will be no referendum. Is this democracy?
    Yes, this is democracy. His party don't support Independence, so why would they support a referendum on it.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Why are people not willing to have a Referendum? Does this mean that they are not willing to accept the will of the Scottish people?

Why cant they consider the fact that the majority of the Scottish people might say no to independence?

Change the system so that only the party with the most seats or votes can elect a first minister. Rather than this one, where a party with 100,000 votes more than any other party and more seats under the present system is not allowed to govern. Which stupid party agreed to this system?

Is this one type of Democracy that soldiers in Iraq are dying for?
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    The Scottish people who could be arsed have already voted.

Scottish Liberal Democrat leader Nicol Stephen said that there was no way his party would support a referendum on independence.

"In terms of a potential coalition relationship with the Liberal Democrats, we've been very clear about this."

"We don't support independence. We don't support a referendum on independence. We support more powers for the Scottish parliament."
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6627589.stm

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    So, the upshot, then:

No, not at all. However it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be, being a Labour supporter.

The Lib Dems are in a really strong bargaining position just now, so unless the Nats are willing to compromise, a lot, then they may not be able to get a majority coalition.

It's even a possibility that we'll have to do it all again. If a First Minister can't be elected within 28 days.
    Hmmm.

I'd have to be there, and sober, too.

Tough one.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley View Post
    The Scottish people who could be arsed have already voted.

Scottish Liberal Democrat leader Nicol Stephen said that there was no way his party would support a referendum on independence.

"In terms of a potential coalition relationship with the Liberal Democrats, we've been very clear about this."

"We don't support independence. We don't support a referendum on independence. We support more powers for the Scottish parliament."
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6627589.stm
    It would seem that the Libs don't want to be part of the Government either with the SNP or Labour. Strange position to take - makes you wonder why they bothered standing really. I am not convinced that their supporters will be all that chuffed - it seems all the Libs stand for is "not independence"

I wonder how it will go as a minority Government. Interesting times.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40
    I think that is only allowed if a First Minister can be elected.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast