Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Scottish Executive Elections

Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley View Post
    I think that is only allowed if a First Minister can be elected.
    I wonder if the Conservatives are discussing this at the moment .... along the lines of "if we vote for Alex as First Minister it is really going to annoy Gordon" Not that the Conservatives like the SNP but they might justify it on the "biggest party, most votes, only fair" basis. The fact that it might cause problems for Labour in Westminster being purely coincidental.

I am not sure if a Minority Government will work but it it is interesting watching the jostling for best position.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

2. The Drawing Room   -   #42
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    It would seem that the Libs don't want to be part of the Government either with the SNP or Labour. Strange position to take - makes you wonder why they bothered standing really.
    Aiming to be a big opposition voice has its attractions.

You can do all the moaning and whinging you like, and take responsibility for nothing

3. The Drawing Room   -   #43
    MaxOverlord's Avatar Simplify
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa View Post

Aiming to be a big opposition voice has its attractions.

You can do all the moaning and whinging you like, and take responsibility for nothing

Well said. Close to perfection.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #44
    Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    I think that is only allowed if a First Minister can be elected.
    I wonder if the Conservatives are discussing this at the moment .... along the lines of "if we vote for Alex as First Minister it is really going to annoy Gordon" Not that the Conservatives like the SNP but they might justify it on the "biggest party, most votes, only fair" basis. The fact that it might cause problems for Labour in Westminster being purely coincidental.

I am not sure if a Minority Government will work but it it is interesting watching the jostling for best position.
    Les, ffs it's not often you decide that talking pish is your best option. Deliberate as it obviously is.

However let's run with it for a laugh. The Conservative and Unionist Party play a pivotol role in electing a First Minister 100% commited to independence. The main objective of his party for decades. A party which is also as left wing as we have left

How the fuck does that work and who looks stupid when they do it.

Good point actually. Let's hope they do. Then the SNP have no majority and can't actually do anything, crippling them for years. With a First Minister the Tories got into power. It's win / win.
    "there is nothing misogynistic about anything, stop trippin.
    i type this way because im black and from nyc chill son "

5. The Drawing Room   -   #45
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened

Les, ffs it's not often you decide that talking pish is your best option. Deliberate as it obviously is.

However let's run with it for a laugh. The Conservative and Unionist Party play a pivotol role in electing a First Minister 100% commited to independence. The main objective of his party for decades. A party which is also as left wing as we have left

Good point actually. Let's hope they do. Then the SNP have no majority and can't actually do anything, crippling them for years. With a First Minister the Tories got into power. It's win / win.
    So then, you are happy.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #46

I never said it made sense

1) The Tories can vote for Alex (they don't like him but it would annoy Labour)

2) They can vote for Jack to block Alex (but despite both being Unionist they don't like him either and it would make Gordon's life easier)

3) They vote for Annabel - no chance of her getting in but it leaves the door open for Alex to get in without them sullying their hands. (this is actually the likeliest option I think)

4) None of the above because the whole thing is a bit of a shambles.

Despite the uncertainty it is fascinating.

I am still baffled by the Libs though. They won't talk with the SNP because independence is against their policy but they worked with Labour for four years despite Iraq, Trident and Nuclear power stations Obviously some manifesto commitments are more equal than others.

J2

I think we are happy - it looks like we have tied the hands of power.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #47
    J2

I think we are happy - it looks like we have tied the hands of power.
    Ah, the best of all possible results.

Your only worry now is the quality of the entertainment and the temperature of the beverage.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #48
    It's the way the whole thing was set up originally. The Government set the Executive up so that a, It would only ever really work as a coalition and b, It was highly unlikely that the SNP would ever be able to get the majority they need (coalition or otherwise) to force independence.

The one thing that concerns me most about SNP possibly gaining power would be fundamental changes to the system of taxation. I know that's not a devolved issue, however I believe they have limited tax charging powers. I'm not convinced that would be a good thing. However they may want to do it just because the power is there to use.

Having said that, if they get a minority coalition (and a seriously weak one at that) what's the chances of them getting anything through. Salmond could end up as the First Minister who did nowt.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard Scuff View Post
    It's the way the whole thing was set up originally. The Government set the Executive up so that a, It would only ever really work as a coalition and b, It was highly unlikely that the SNP would ever be able to get the majority they need (coalition or otherwise) to force independence.

The one thing that concerns me most about SNP possibly gaining power would be fundamental changes to the system of taxation. I know that's not a devolved issue, however I believe they have limited tax charging powers. I'm not convinced that would be a good thing. However they may want to do it just because the power is there to use.

Having said that, if they get a minority coalition (and a seriously weak one at that) what's the chances of them getting anything through. Salmond could end up as the First Minister who did nowt
    and consequently the mostly fondly remembered

10. The Drawing Room   -   #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard Scuff View Post
    It's the way the whole thing was set up originally. The Government set the Executive up so that a, It would only ever really work as a coalition...
    I wonder what you mean by your use of the word "work".

Some might find the presumptive meaning a horrifying prospect.

Personally, I would celebrate gridlock, owing to the unremitting idiocy of politicians of whatever stripe.

-Mark Twain

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast