Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this a good PSU? (its free after rebate!)

slim150's Avatar Poster
    Ultra X-Finity 600W Power Supply

http://shop3.outpost.com/product/4548667

NEW! X-Finity PSU - Featuring FlexForce Cables Breakthrough technology! Phenomenal power distribution. Easy to manage cabling system! Extraordinary airflow! This sizzling new X-Finity power supply features the innovative new dual rail technology for better power distribution. You'll get the smooth, trouble-free performance that's perfect for your powerful gaming system. The FlexForces' incomparable cables are dressed in a great looking titanium silver finish. Specially engineered cable design promotes easy cable management and 30% better airflow than ordinary cables. Crafted to accommodate both AMD and Intel CPUs! 24/20-pin motherboard connection. 4-pin +12V Molex connectors. 4-pin floppy power connectors. PCI Express, SATA and 8-pin EPS connectors. Versatile. Dependable. Affordable. The X-Finity FlexForce ATX power supply

Additional Features

* Supports AMD and Intel Motherboards
    * NVIDIAŽ SLI Ready
    * Low Acoustic Noise
    * 120mm Fan
    * Meets ATX Version 2.2, v1.3, and ATX 12V Version 2.03 Specifications
    * Short Circuit Protection
    * In-Rush Current Protection
    * Thermal Overload Cutoff Protection
    * MTBF > 100,000 Hours at Full Load, 110VAC and 25°C Ambient Condition
    * FCC and UL Recognized
    "Their most trivial action may mean volumes, or their most extraordinary conduct may depend upon a hairpin or a pair of curling-tongs" - Holmes

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    no

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    no
    ...... I haven't heard anything bad about ultra products, so it should be alright.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    i've heard that when under a heavy load, it will get unusually loud and hot. If you have the psu mounted on the bottom of the case, that should be ok, but if it's on top, you may want to look into another psu, even though it's free.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by shapeless View Post
    i've heard that when under a heavy load, it will get unusually loud and hot. If you have the psu mounted on the bottom of the case, that should be ok, but if it's on top, you may want to look into another psu, even though it's free.
    heat rises. at the bottom wouldn't it heat up the whole case? I guess at the bottom the power supply itself would stay cool though.
    I think no matter where it is put it's a bad thig for it to run hot.

For free, how can you go wrong? Keep it as a backup if you don't want to use it as your main power supply.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Some of the Ultra products are ok but it depends on what the Amperage is on the +12, can't find the specs easily now.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I think I might get that. Even if what yall say is true, my antec has been getting really screwy lately and dont feel like messing with it anymore.

EDIT* If yall want a review of this PSU, heres one I found on google:

http://www.motherboards.org/reviews/...re/1584_1.html
    Last edited by DemonicFire; 05-07-2007 at 01:51 AM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    And here's a real review.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    The bottom line is if they're giving it away there is something wrong that previous reviews might not show. They are obviously dumping this line and the reasons are only known to the company but my guess would be they were made with bad caps or transformers and it wasn't discovered until they were already shipped all over the place.

Its like russian roulette, 1 in 10 may be ok and if your lucky you'll get one that will last. The bad news, often when a power supply blows it does so with a spike which can take out your $200 motherboard. Are you willing to take the risk?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    suprafreak6's Avatar Suprafreak6 is Back!
    You know its funny, i dont wanna jinx it, but my Power supply has been fine since purchase date...and i remember everyone but me and gam3guy wanted me to buy a different one

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast