It has been almost a year since our last release. A year with a lot of changes. One of the changes was the release of Microsoft Windows Vista. GrabIt 1.6.2 worked great with Vista, but needed some changes from the default configuration. GrabIt 1.7.0 has the default configuration changed to work with Vista immediately. I also restored the Windows 9x compatibility for people still working on Windows 95, 98 or Me.
Together with these compatibility changes I rewrote the search engine from scratch. Besides better scaling possibilities it can now search for partial words. This means that a search for 'rab' will also find binaries containing 'rab', 'rabbit', 'grabit' and 'arab'.
Another major update are two modules called RepairIt and ExtractIt that will automatically check your downloads for corruption (if PAR2 files have been downloaded) and when the downloads check out, they will be automatically extracted.
A full list of changes since GrabIt 1.6.2 is listed below. Go ahead and download the new build. Happy grabbing!
* New RepairIt and ExtractIt technology automatically checks, repairs and extracts downloaded binaries;
* Introduction of a new GrabIt Search method that enables you to find partial words (searching for 'rab' will find binaries containing 'rab', 'rabbit', 'grabit' and 'arab');
* New default Cache and Download folder locations for better Vista compatibility;
* The 1.7 generation is now fully compatible with Windows 9x again;
* Added a 'Create Folder' button to all folder select dialog boxes;
* Search and Browse Usenet code tweaked for better compatibility with some firewall software (eg. McAfee 2007 and Avast);
* Some small interface changes;
* Fixed the problem that caused some downloads getting stuck in the cache folder without being decoded;
* It is now possible to use the GrabIt Search over port 443;
* 'Article not found' errors can now be ignored to improve the chances of getting enough blocks for a PAR2 repair.