Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I keep PAR's ?

After I've successfully downloaded some files and I've confirmed the parity and the files aren't corrupt, should I keep the PAR files or should I delete them to save space on my HD ?

TIA,
    -BassKozz

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by BassKozz View Post
    After I've successfully downloaded some files and I've confirmed the parity and the files aren't corrupt, should I keep the PAR files or should I delete them to save space on my HD ?

TIA,
    -BassKozz
    If you've already successfully extracted the content, then you have no need for them any longer.

yo

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    I use Newsleecher, and when a file is missing some blocks, the file name is written in caps. Is it necessary to download the Pars? There is an option of have the pars queued as "paused".
    I buy usage in blocks - 10gb at at a time. Most users seem to have unlimited server accounts, so it is not an issue for them.

Thanks!

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    It is not always necessary to download all the pars.
    Only the number of Pars it takes to fix the file set.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    xes999
    Download the new grabit.exe from shemes. Download the pars and it automatically takes care of everything. There is no need to keep pars once the file is confirmed as "no need for repair", or "file repaired". I usually skip pars and download later if there is a problem but I don't recommend this course of action it can be time consuming but it will save on bandwidth.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Can the PAR files be used later should the data (RAR files) somehow become corrupt on my HD ? or is this a RARe case

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    xes999
    Yes because thats there purpose. But again not sure why you would keep the .rar or the .par files once extraction is complete. I'm sure you have your own reasons but, the reason why files are stored in .rar .par files is to protect the integrity (for lack of a better word) of the original file during and after file transfer. But also once the .par file is repaired the .pars should automatically delete themselves. To make a long story short "no you should not keep PAR's". Unless you are saving the original .rar files.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    I do keep the RAR files, actually I never really unpack ...

I use XBMC to watch some tv shows I D/L, and it let's me keep the files packed and still watch the shows

So should I keep the PAR's ?

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    i don't understand what it is that you want to be told. What advice is it that you are seeking?

Keeping the pars after you have checked the file set is pointless. The only time corruption should accrue is when the file set is being upload or downloaded over the internet. But, if you have the space to burn on your hard drive, I guess why not? It's all up to you.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    xes999
    O.K. I understand now, so you .par your own .rar files. Well first you must test the integrity of your .rar file first by either extracting it or testing it with winrar or any other .rar file handler. Once everything tests out O.K. then you would .par the files for transfer. If you are not planning on transfering the files paring them is unnecessary. If the .rar is originally corrupted then there is nothing you can do except attempt to repair it with rarRepair. Obviously this is not the case so you should create a back-up and burn it to disc. To sum it all up in a nut shell, you should not need to .par any .rar file that you are not transfering. Go here. h**p://www.techsono.com/faq/par.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast