Thread: Win 2003 OS on dedicated server -> multiple ip's HOW-TO?

Xaeron's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    I have five IP's assigned to my usage, but at the moment my Win 2003 is only configured to use one of them.

I was wondering what would be the easiest and most reliable way to use the other 4? I mean, of course I know how to configure the network connection and its tcp/ip settings and how to set a new IP instead of the current one, but I'm just scared if I completely lose network access. Actually, I already once disabled the NIC from the network settings and had to issue a support ticket to get the NIC enabled again. I disabled it by accident though. I blame my mouse.

Can I somehow configure Win 2003 to have 5 ip's and then just select what one to use? Is it possible to have 5 ip's set up on the OS and then somehow select what programs use which IP? Ideally I'd like to be able to change what IP uTorrent uses, but I don't know if that's possible.

If there's a Win 2003 (network guru) guy here, I'd appreciate if someone showed me which way to go. Step-by-step instructions are fine of course :-)

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    BLaZiN's Avatar Up yours! BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    im no guru but have done both of what u suggested and both are easily possible and quite simple to do, basically to add more ips click on ya network connections, right click ur connection (only one there if ur on server) select properties, highlight "internet protocol tcp/ip" and underrneath select properties, new screen apears at the bottom right, select advanced, new screen apears on this screen u got two boxes you only need worry bout the top one in ip settings, click add and just add the ip u have been given and the subnet mask usually 255.255.255.0, click ok, thats it ip added u can now connect to ur server on that ip and add as many as you have been given "5", although here im assuming the dns server you wont need to add another i used this method on vrt servers on windows 2003 im guessing its pretty much the same i.e the dns server is the same for all the ips.

As for gettin utorrent to give out a new ip, click into options>prefrences>Advanced>in the right hand box when advanced is higlighted click on "net_outgoin_ip" and set the value to whatever ip u want utorrent to send out click ok then restart utorrent, btw this only works assuming that ur computer gives out that ip you cant just stick any old ip in there but in your case you can use any one of the five you have been given once they have been added as above

so hope this helps im not the best at writing out guides for peeps
    Last edited by BLaZiN; 05-10-2007 at 12:30 PM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Xaeron's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Thanks a lot, that made it clear.