Thread: Using BitTorrent on two computers sharing a connection

Okay, so there are two PC's in my house sharing a connection connected by a router. Now, what I want to know is, will downloading with BitTorrent on the wireless PC interfere with the connection of the wired PC and vice versa? And if so, how much exactly? Speed-wise, I mean. Will it slow down my connection very much?

Also, I have the ports of my BitTorrent client forwarded on the wired PC, but obviously, I cannot do this on the wireless PC (unless there's some way I don't know of), so I'm wondering, are the ports forwarded on both PC's? I would think that they would be, but I'm not sure.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    SHUVT's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    No matter how many pcs you have running on one connection, you will still be limited by the bandwidth that your IP provides. You will get no more and all bandwidth will be be split by the total amount of torrents you have downloading at any given time.
    I haven't taken a beating like that since I opened my first issue of Hustler!
    The World is a Sick Place and I'm a Happy Guy!

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by SimianRaticus View Post

Also, I have the ports of my BitTorrent client forwarded on the wired PC, but obviously, I cannot do this on the wireless PC (unless there's some way I don't know of), so I'm wondering, are the ports forwarded on both PC's? I would think that they would be, but I'm not sure.
    ports are only forwarded to 1 IP address at a time (for the routers I've dealt with anyway... Linksys). If you want your laptop to be connectible too, then I'd set it to have a static IP from your router and then forward another port to that IP in your router settings.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    fstrulz's Avatar got milf? BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    It doesn't matter whether your PCs are connected to the internet through wire/direct-connect or wirelessly/WiFi...

Since you only have 1 internet connection, your 2 PCs are gonna have to share your internet's bandwidth ...

...Which means your 2 PCs affect each other's internet connection.

For example... If you're gonna download torrents in PC #1 at your internet's maximum speed and at high priority, then it's gonna take majority of your bandwidth and your PC #2's internet connection will be slow.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    I see.

All right, I just tested my connection, and it says
    1497 / 376 Kbs. Speaking of which, when you share a connection, is the connection split in half? Is that how it works? I'm not even sure to be honest. The reason I ask is because I was wondering if that was my connection after being halved. Anyway, what would you recommend I limit the max connection speed to lessen the interference with the connection on the other PC considering my download/upload speed?

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    mikechrobot's Avatar Trader Hater BT Rep: +2
    you have to forward the port in the router, what router do u have?