Thread: U.S. ROBOTICS external modem help please

zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    I currently have an internal Broadxent V.92 PCI DI3631-1 [Modem]. My OS is XP VLK.

But I just got a used U.S. ROBOTICS COURIER EXTERNAL 56K V.EVERYTHING MODEM. In good condition it came with a power cord & RS232 data cable. But no users manual or install disks.

Its a much better modem plus ability the to use with Linux.
    I downloaded the "Getting Started" manual. It's not clear.

My questions:

Is it a must to physically uninstall my current internal modem? Or can I leave it connected?
    And must I uninstall my current software Network Connections? And how? I've always just deleted them. Or would my new external modem just assume the old Network Connections?

Or can I just disable my internal modem in Device Manager?

Cause I'm thinking I have to take note of my login UN & PW & access numbers of my ISP. Physically uninstall my current internal modem & delete the old Network Connections. Then connect my new external modem. Reboot & then I figure XP will popup with the found new hardware wizard. I'll follow the prompts & plugin my ISP info. That's it.

But.... if theres any problems with the new setup it'd be easier if I didn't physically uninstall my current internal modem & delete the old Network Connections. So I had that to fall back on.

Help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    You can leave the internal one installed.

Just add the external modem and create a new connection in 'Network Connections' for the external modem. Make that connection the default one.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Thanks VB.

Will install as soon as I feel tweaky but not too tweaky.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Got it working. Thanks all. Another weird M$/XP/computer experience though. Once again the answers I got on my regular forums was more useful than the "official" manuals.

What I did:
    So I leave my internal modem & settings alone. I physically install my external modem.

Followed this advice:
    "Just go to Control Panel | Network Connections, select the associated dial-up entry, right click Properties, and change the Connecting using: dropdown selection on the default General tab to the preferred device. That being, your new U.S. Robotics modem."

Except the U.S. Robotics modem didn't showup in the dropdown. Rebooted a couple times & the add new hardware wizard DIDN'T appear. So I searched & found an install .inf for XP on a U.S. Robotics site for my modem. Once I figured out my serial connection is COM1 not 2 I'm in business.

So in the course of things I reboot a few more times. Then & only then the STUPID M$ add new hardware wizard appears. And it WON'T be ignored. So I install the driver M$ INSISTS on. Theres no getting out of this loop. Course theres a conflict between the 2 drivers. So I uninstall the U.S. Robotics one & leave the M$ one. Then I check the dates on the 2 drivers. The M$ one is 5 years older than the U.S. Robotics one. Stupid M$!!! OK. I disable the M$ driver in Device Manager. Then reinstall the newer U.S. Robotics driver.

So now you're up to date. And thanks to those that helped/responded. Sounds kind of generic. But I'm posting to several favorite websites.