Thread: Utorrent problem needs fixing

BLaZiN's Avatar Up yours! BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    Hope one u guys have an answer cos its really disrupting my torrent life

Basically i was using utorrent 1.60 and kept gettin a diskoverloaded error everytime i hit a torrent at over 4mb/s on my seedbox ( fookin annoying), when this happened all my upload speed would kill to a halt while this torrent was downloading ( even more fookin annoying), so i though rite ill update to 1.6.1 but still keep gettin diskoverloaded error, it appears beside the dht disabled box at the bottom only when im hittin over 4mb/s (whats the point of havin box if u cant do over 4mb/s), im sure theres a reason for this and knowing the reason im sure will provide a solution well i hope anywayz, i did a little googling like i do with any problem that comes up that aint got a scoob about and came up with its somthing to do with how fast the data is written to the disk i.e downloaded to it, it gave a solution which was this....

I believe it means your harddrive is having trouble keeping up with your download speed. If you alter the diskio.write_queue_size = -1 in advanced options to a value 2 to 4 times your maximum download speed, it may stop it from happening. So if your maximum download speed is 1024, then set it to 2048. Don't set it below 2048 or above 32768.
    ive found a few diskio options in utorrent under prefrences>advanced but not what he sais and i cant find any such option in advanced on the actual HDD so im stumped hence me posting here to wonderful knowledgeable FST`ers

Anybody out there no what the hell im on bout.........

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Poster BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Options > Preferences > Advanced > Disk Cache

Check the following ONLY:

Reduce memory usage when the cache is not needed

Enable caching of Disk Reads, and everything below that.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Poster BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    Have you tried modifying the standard disk cache size? Depending on the unused RAM on your seedbox, you might just be able to optimize uTorrent's disk use.

An error message like "diskoverloaded" usually indicates that there are already too many accesses to said disk and the system can't handle/queue any more. In any case, this should NEVER happen at speeds of 4MB/s which leads me to suspect other reasons like the use of virtual servers - several pseudo root servers using the same physical server. If there are several users accessing the disk at the same time this error message would make sense. For this possible reason to clear up it would be good to know if you're the owner of your own dedicated server or if you're using some cheaper virtual server product.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    i am the owner of a dedicated server, which me alone uses, and no havnt tried modifying disk cache wouldnt no where to start to be honest Daniel, @ tinkercat2003 there all as u state my friend
    Last edited by BLaZiN; 05-16-2007 at 09:56 PM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Second time around....

if i change the disk cahce size from 32mb to 64mb or even 128mb will this have a negative affect at all, im wondering if that will even help does anybody no??

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Sorry, didn't get notified for replies on this forums, so I didn't read your answer immediately.

The thing with the disk cache setup is explained quickly and easily but first, try the following: while downloading something, raise the cache size to 64MB and have a look at the utorrent.exe process in the task manager. You should now be able to see the raise of needed memory - but beware, this works better if your download-speed is rather high because uTorrent is cleaning and freeing unused allocated cache on its own. The only negative effect is the raised need of RAM for the uTorrent client - this can slow down a system if you're low on RAM but as you obviously have your own dedicated server, you need not fear.

You should start out with a modified disk cache of 32MB (I don't believe this value is used even though it's greyed out in the field) and if you still get the same errors, raise the size to 48 or 64MB. This way, your harddisk can write larger pieces of data each time and needs less counts to reposition its header (which is a major cause for low transfer rates - remember disk fragmentation).

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    well tryed as u said which sort of worked i mean it can hit up to like 8mb/s now without doin it anything over and BLAM error appears again, also while now downloading i have no upload speed until thew download has finished then my upload speed returns to normal, its drivin me nuts im thinkin bout just switching to az cos this just wont do, dunno ill kepp playin with it see what happens if i dont fix it by a week or so ill give az a go

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Hum, I don't know what this az is, you're talking about, but try something else first. uTorrent has an option to prioritize seeds and downloads differently - this option should be called something like "seeds have a higher priority than downloads" and should be found in the queue-page (if those names don't match by word, that's because I don't use an english version of the program). I should mention though that this issue can be both caused by your server/hardware/torrent-client or can be a bandwidth-issue.

Another thing to think about is if you shouldn't be happy with 8MB/s speed. I mean, we're talking about a bandwidth of 64MBit/s here, overhead traffic not counted. It is more than possible that your provider cannot offer you the full speed of a probably 100MBit access of your server to the backbone(s), not even counting if you'd be able to get that continuous speed from leeching a torrent. Counting the overhead, you're using over 70% of your maximum bandwidth, of course provided that your limit is indeed said 100MBit.