Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who else here has a Socket 939 CPU and Mobo?

Elvenmunky's Avatar Day Sleeper

Question Mark

right i have a 1gb ram, AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Venice Socket 939, and a motherboard that doesnt support ddr2, is this worth upgrading to a normal socket mobo and cpu or shall i just build up on this?
    "Our generation has had no Great Depression, no Great War.
    Our war is spiritual. Our depression is our lives." - Tyler Durden

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    what does normal socket mb mean? as for u upgrading ur current rig i wouldn't. save ur money and buy an intel core 2 duo (not quad) and a decent mid range gpu. u'll be happy in the long run for it runs the ddr2 (or wait for bearlake) and u'll have dx10 and a socket that will support "better" quads in the future. hf.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    What "normal" socket?

As for upgrading... It all depends on what your computer is used for.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    for normal i meant something that isnt socket 939 as i find tht most cpu's run on other (hence) normal sockets. yeh im going to buy a 2900xt gcard and just wanted it to run smoothly for c&c and stalker...on high settings.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    Does the motherboard support agp or pci-e?

If it is pci-e, then getting a graphics card is worthwhile since it will be compatible with any motherboard you upgrade to later.

You may want to consider an audio card upgrade too. On board audio is usually pretty naff for gaming as it often takes a lot of processor power. But since that will probably be a plain old pci card that's compatible with future upgrades too.

The rest of the specs are probably sufficient for your current requirements, so you can probably leave those as they are.

Spending money on upgrades for an agp based motherboard would be a waste though.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    yeh my mobo supports pci-e and i have sblive 5.1 sound card and speakers. yeh i think ill just buy the gcard and wait till the high end cpus go a tad cheaper.

would i still be able to play games at high settings tho?
    Last edited by Elvenmunky; 05-17-2007 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    @lynx, this is his motherboard: http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.as...al-SATA2&s=939

We were discussing this in this other thread: https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-har...4/t-ram-183851
    I don't know why he had to start a new thread which makes things more confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvenmunky View Post
    for normal i meant something that isnt socket 939 as i find tht most cpu's run on other (hence) normal sockets. yeh im going to buy a 2900xt gcard and just wanted it to run smoothly for c&c and stalker...on high settings.
    Just to clarify... Each socket type can only use the matching CPU type. There isn't a "normal" socket that you refer to as a different one than 939.

You still haven't told us which socket you mean by "normal".

I also noticed that you changed your mind about getting the 8800gts. We still don't know what your real goals are.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    right ok just to clarify, i take back the normal 'socket 939' thingy, i dnt kno what im talking about, im nothing compared to u guys on pc knowledge. I just wanted to know if it was a good idea to upgrade on my normal 'rig' or just get a whole upgrade. Secondly i changed my mind about the gcard coz i heard the 2900xt is better than the 8800gts 640mb (and it has just came out today in my local pc shop). Thirdly i want to upgrade to get as much out of my upcoming gcard but now i realised i shud wait for the prices of a good cpu and mobo to go down before i can buy them, as i am not paying around £300+ on just a new cpu and mobo coz i am already going to buy a new gcard and 22''...and psu.

ps soz for making a new thread, no1 was replying
    Last edited by Elvenmunky; 05-17-2007 at 04:05 PM.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    lynx's Avatar .
    For a minute I thought that was the motherboard which is an AGP board with a PCIe add-on (which makes the x16 slot run at x4). Fortunately it isn't.

I ignored all the nonsense about "normal" sockets, because it wasn't really relevant if you didn't need to upgrade.

I would expect you to get reasonable frame rates even on the highest settings, since it will be the graphics and sound cards which are doing the majority of the work. An XP3800+ should easily carry the basic computing load.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    thanx lynx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast