Thread: Stanford Charging P2P Users Reconnection Fees

popopot's Avatar To Me, To You BT Rep: +5

Arstechnica has an article about Stanford University charging P2P users a reconnection fee to their network if they are caught for illegal file sharing because of the costs involved in keeping up with all of the file sharing related complaints. From Arstechnica:

"Upon the receipt of the first DMCA complaint, the school's Information Security Office (ISO) will forward a copy to the student along with a message directing him or her to remove the infringing content. If the student fails respond to the ISO and does not remove the infringing material within 48 hours, he or she will be disconnected from the school network and assessed a $100 reconnection charge. Students can provide a counter-notice to the ISO if they believe they received the complaint in error.

Further offenses will result in immediate disconnection from the network. Two-time offenders will have to pay a $500 reconnection fee, while three-time losers will have their network privileges terminated. In order for a three-time offender to regain access, he or she will need to indemnify the university against any further copyright violations and pay a $1,000 fee for a new account on the school network. The offending student will also be referred to Judicial Affairs for disciplinary action."

More after the link.

Source: Arstechnica

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    maverick_andy's Avatar broken heart... BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    WTF is this?? everywhere such F*** notices is it really end of p2p
    I've learned that it takes years to build up trust,
    and it only takes suspicion, not proof, to destroy it.

I am proud to be a part of this communities.FSC|FST

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    damn. I think FTP will be the way to go pretty soon .