Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biggest sport in the US?

SeK612's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    I was wondering which is the biggest / most followed sports in the US? As I understand it the main sports are football, baseball and basketball so is one more watched than the others?

For example in the UK, soccer has the feeling of the main sport of the country over things like cricket, rugby and tennis.

2. Sports Club   -   #2
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Soon to be soccer when David Beckham takes over America.

Interestingly, the most watched US sport in the UK is WWE wrestling.

3. Sports Club   -   #3
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by SeK612 View Post
    I was wondering which is the biggest / most followed sports in the US? As I understand it the main sports are football, baseball and basketball so is one more watched than the others?

For example in the UK, soccer has the feeling of the main sport of the country over things like cricket, rugby and tennis.
    The biggest is football. Second is basketball then baseball.

Keep in mind though that
    (regular season)

Football has 16 games (32 teams)

Basketball has 81 games (30 teams)

Baseball has 162 games (30 teams)

In America, you also have to add college football and basketball. Some of our college football stadiums are bigger than any NFL stadiums. We have March Madness for basketball (college division 1 tourney) and the Bowl games in football which draw huge amounts of viewers.

Hockey has gone downhill. Recently, a NHL playoff game was near it's end and was cut off for the Preakness pre-race show.

Soccer has no big TV market here. Some stadium get decent attendence. Some don't. David Beckham won't change that.

MMA is rising but doesn't pack big arenas....yet.

WWE is not a sport.

Boxing does not command like it used to. The heavyweight division has been shit since Mike Tyson went out. Hopefully Mayweather, Hatton, Taylor, and Calzaghe bring the sport back up. I heard Bernard Hopkins is fighting again too.

4. Sports Club   -   #4
    DefX's Avatar Macula.Lutea. BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    NFL (football) is by far the most watched among the four major sports here as proven by their tv ratings and the pricey commercial ads they command. (See the ridiculous prices they ask for during superbowl).

Some say its the effective way the NFL market their sport but I believe its also the fact that their games are more sparse ( 1 game per week) compared to the other sports. Therefore, people are more likely to tune to their games. Watching NFL with buddies on Sundays have long been an American tradition.

5. Sports Club   -   #5
    Alien5's Avatar μετά BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    MMA is gonna take over the world soon.

6. Sports Club   -   #6
    Someday Soccer... i hope!!
    Design Template Resources
    http://designtemplate.blogspot.com

7. Sports Club   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by wipe View Post
    Someday Soccer... i hope!!
    It will never happen.

Basketball and football are so popular here that the draft for each gets it's own show.

Hell the draft lottery for the NBA is on tonight and that's just to determine the order of 14 teams in the draft.
    Last edited by Busyman™; 05-22-2007 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

8. Sports Club   -   #8
    FSC [Fight Club] BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by Alien5 View Post

--

I believe i read some where sometime ago that football has now taken over as being the top sport people play and watch in the US
    Proud Member of:

9. Sports Club   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by DV8type View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alien5 View Post

--

I believe i read some where sometime ago that football has now taken over as being the top sport people play and watch in the US
    What was on top before that (watching)?

I don't think football is/has been the most played sport, ever.

The average joe doesn't go outside to play football. Basketball maybe but not football.
    Last edited by Busyman™; 05-23-2007 at 01:27 PM.

10. Sports Club   -   #10
    Poster
    Soccer one day maybe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast