Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Thread: British Suck

Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    There was a dreadful inevitability about it.
    "there is nothing misogynistic about anything, stop trippin.
    i type this way because im black and from nyc chill son "

2. Lounge   -   #72
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    You know, the whole concept of tipping is fucking stupid.

Like, guess what? The price isn't what it says it is, give some extra money to the 'tard who was doing what he's already paid to do (and probably the bare minimum at that), or else he'll think you're cheap, and will possibly try to get you back if he's called on to do something for you again (at least if he's a merkin).

Why don't they just raise their prices then, and give 15% directly to whoever the fuck is doing the deliveries or whatever? But no, that'd make it too expensive and the customer would go somewhere else. Only they'd be expected to tip there. Fucking morons.

No one does it here, and no one really expects it, except from greedy hoteliers, then, apparently. I'd laugh in their stupid faces if they did.

3. Lounge   -   #73
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snee View Post
    You know, the whole concept of tipping is fucking stupid.

Like, guess what? The price isn't what it says it is, give some extra money to the 'tard who was doing what he's already paid to do (and probably the bare minimum at that), or else he'll think you're cheap, and will possibly try to get you back if he's called on to do something for you again (at least if he's a merkin).

Why don't they just raise their prices then, and give 15% directly to whoever the fuck is doing the deliveries or whatever? But no, that'd make it too expensive and the customer would go somewhere else. Only they'd be expected to tip there. Fucking morons.

No one does it here, and no one really expects it, except from greedy hoteliers, then, apparently. I'd laugh in their stupid faces if they did.
    For hotel workers, I totally agree. They are supposed to clean my room, take my bags, etc. In many cases I them to give me a cart and I take them myself.

For waiters, I totally disagree. I like being able to pay less if service is bad. If prices were rasied then I'd have no control over what I pay besides just not going to the establishment.

I also can tip higher if service was above and beyond the call of duty. I've had waiters give me free food and/or drinks simply cuz I didn't like what I had or it wasn't what I ordered. They could've taken it away. I like tipping folks like that.

The problem is that workers and paying customers think of tip as mandatory.

For instance, I tell restaurants to fuck off if they charge a tip automatically (if I had bad service) or charge 18% in cases of 6 people or more. Guess what? If it's 6 six people or more then they get more tip anyway due to the bill being higher.

There's no fucking way I'm giving a tip to a shitty waiter.

4. Lounge   -   #74
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    I sort of see your point there.

If it wasn't seen as mandatory (as you say), and not really expected of you, it would be better.

As a positive one-time reinforcement, at lyke a restaurant, it might not be so bad. I dunno how well it works if you are a regular somewhere and they know you, though. Then again, maybe if people complained a hell of a lot more if the service was crap, someone not yelling for the manager might be its own reward

5. Lounge   -   #75
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    "Mandatory" tipping is bullshit.

I always tip pretty standard at restaurants I guess, unless the service was really the pits. At least a waiter/waitress will say "Hello", "How are you", "Our specials today are...", etc. and at least pretend to give a shit.

What really gets me is the tipping in bars. Pick up a bottle, pop the top, set it on the bar, tell me the total is $3 and then expect a tip!!?? Fuck all that. The other thing that really grinds my gears is when you order a drink/beer and they don't tell you about the obvious specials. Then you end up buying a $4 Miller when it's 25 cent Budweiser night.

And God-forbid you don't tip accordingly, or you'll die thirsty. The best way is to open a tab, and tip appropriately when you leave.

[youtube]lwqtaKRS3IE[/youtube]

yo

6. Lounge   -   #76
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    I never got tipped when I worked behind the bar or serving food except for when we had 'merkin tourists in. Then we'd fight amongst ourselves to serve them because we knew we'd be in for a tip.

7. Lounge   -   #77
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I'v traveled quite a bit when I was younger , all over the world and found both the Brits and Yanks some of the nicest people I'v met . Depended if I was looking for a taxi , hooker , good fish and chips twice or brown heroin .

8. Lounge   -   #78
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    "Mandatory" tipping is bullshit.

I always tip pretty standard at restaurants I guess, unless the service was really the pits. At least a waiter/waitress will say "Hello", "How are you", "Our specials today are...", etc. and at least pretend to give a shit.

What really gets me is the tipping in bars. Pick up a bottle, pop the top, set it on the bar, tell me the total is $3 and then expect a tip!!?? Fuck all that. The other thing that really grinds my gears is when you order a drink/beer and they don't tell you about the obvious specials. Then you end up buying a $4 Miller when it's 25 cent Budweiser night.

And God-forbid you don't tip accordingly, or you'll die thirsty. The best way is to open a tab, and tip appropriately when you leave.

[youtube]lwqtaKRS3IE[/youtube]
    Great clip!

It's on the money.

You are right about tipping for drinks. That's their fucking job....to serve me drinks.

Good idea about always having a tab.

One thing I will not do

I NEVER TIP ON A CREDIT CARD UNLESS I REALLY HAVE NO CASH!

Fuck if i'ma tip and then the gubment taxes it.

9. Lounge   -   #79
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    I tip my barber.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678