Thread: So I'm sitting in my room when I feel my power cable...

...and it burns!!!
    I'm running on an HP laptop in my room. The notebook has been on for about a day straight (over 24 hours). It has also been plugged in to a power outlet for a day straight. I come back from work today and touch that box in the middle of my power cord, a converter, I think, and, well, it is really hot.

I wonder if this is natural, expected, normal, or dangerous, hazardous, deadly.

My laptop is like the PC is never had, and I want it running day and night. I just need suggestions on how to cool this thing, and if I my power cable could be damaged by overheating. I just don't want my cable to melt...

Brilliant idea... I WILL SHOW IT TO YOU!!! ===> http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/n...DL606A%2523ABA
    It is a "HP 65W AC Adapter"

Thanks in advance!!
    Last edited by Skerven; 05-31-2007 at 03:28 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    It is normal for the TRANSFORMER to heat up. I'm not sure for what length of time they are rated, but I wouldn't leave it on for too long w/o a rest. Also, you want to occasionally drain the battery, otherwise it will start loosing capacity.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    "I wouldn't leave it on for too long w/o a rest"
    So.. how long is too long, in your professional opinion that is

"you want to occasionally drain the battery, otherwise it will start loosing capacity."
    Yeah I'll unplug it whenever I'm using it.

While watching House (taped) i came up with some ideas...
    So the only way a transformer can be damaged is if it overheats?
    What if I just put a fan to it. I have my fan constantly on in my room anyways (can't sleep without the sound), so it wouldn't be that much of a hassle to just put the fan right next to my desk.
    Better yet, maybe I could use the icepack.
    Am I right in assuming the only way my power cord can be damaged is if it overheats?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Laptops are not for 24/7.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    When you refer to the power cord being hot, do you mean
    1. just the transformer
    2. the part from the wall socket to the transformer
    3. the part from the transformer to the laptop
    4. some combination (please specify)

If you mean anything other than option 1 then I suspect you've got a problem, the actual wiring should not get hot.

These transformers are often only just big enough to do the job, and consequently they do get quite hot, far too hot IMO.

Of course, if they supplied a more suitable adapter it would cost them about $0.50 more, and that would push the price to the consumer up by about $10.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    1. just the transformer
    If you mean anything other than option 1 then I suspect you've got a problem, the actual wiring should not get hot.

These transformers are often only just big enough to do the job, and consequently they do get quite hot, far too hot IMO.

Of course, if they supplied a more suitable adapter it would cost them about $0.50 more, and that would push the price to the consumer up by about $10.
    well, the wire heat he is feeling may be due to conduction. If he's had it on 24/7 (which is bad) then that's not a big surprise.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    1. just the transformer

Just the transformer, but I will check the other parts if I feel my transformer getting hot again. I left my laptop off today