Thread: Trouble with Wireless Router >.<

iMartin's Avatar ♥Home Grown♥ BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    K, having some troubles with my Wireless-N Home Router (WRT150N). My lappy and desktop both say they're connected just fine, but I can't actually connect! For instance when I try to open a web page it gives me the "Cannot find server ~ This page cannot be displayed" error, or can't sign into messenger, etc... What's the dilly-o? *Edit, the problems I mentioned above go for both the lappy and the desktop.
    Last edited by iMartin; 05-27-2007 at 07:58 AM.

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    slim150's Avatar Poster
    I had a similar problem on Thursday. The network is connected, but the internet isn't. So I disconnected the router and plugged my nearest computer directly into to the cable modem.. result: the internet worked.

Anyways I figured the router was bad so I bought a new router and the problem was fixed

Once a few years ago I had a similar problem too. As it turned out we had 2 routers (one old and one new) and the new one we were currently using we were using the others AC plug for it. Maybe it has something to do with your plug, but I wouldn't know how to test that theory.

Also one more thing it might not be hardware.. sometimes in network connections you might have more than one LAN listed for different reasons and I've noticed sometimes that I need to disable others, or make sure they aren't bridged and the internet will work.
    Last edited by slim150; 05-27-2007 at 03:38 PM.
    "Their most trivial action may mean volumes, or their most extraordinary conduct may depend upon a hairpin or a pair of curling-tongs" - Holmes

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    Well took back the wireless-n and got a wireless-g, and still same ole problem. I'm sure it has something to do with my dsl modem.

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    1) if you connect your computer to the modem directly are you able to connect to the internet?
    2) were you given any software to install by your ISP, or any login information? or do you have to run any software at all when you plug the modem directly into your computer?
    3) If you can connect directly and don't run any separate software, then try plugging the router back in. Then on a computer running xp go:
    start -> programs -> accessories -> command prompt
    and type the following command in:
    ipconfig
    let us know what it says.
    Also try typing the command
    ping 216.239.59.147
    (which will ping google if anyone is curious about the ip). Let us know what it says to that too.

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #5
    Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    Try a re-boot, but do it in the right order, sometimes the modem gets sort of fucked. The PC can still talk to the router but the modem can't talk to the internets.

Turn the PC off.
    Turn the router off.
    Turn the modem off.

Wait for a couple of minutes.

Turn the modem on, wait till all the flashy lights have stopped.
    Turn the router on.
    Turn the PC on.

I'm assuming that IE (or whatever) knows it's connecting to a wan and not set up to connect via dial-up.

Generally doing the above will fix your problem. I have to do a sequential re-boot every so often.
    "there is nothing misogynistic about anything, stop trippin.
    i type this way because im black and from nyc chill son "

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by ilw View Post
    1) if you connect your computer to the modem directly are you able to connect to the internet?
    2) were you given any software to install by your ISP, or any login information? or do you have to run any software at all when you plug the modem directly into your computer?
    3) If you can connect directly and don't run any separate software, then try plugging the router back in. Then on a computer running xp go:
    start -> programs -> accessories -> command prompt
    and type the following command in:
    ipconfig
    let us know what it says.
    Also try typing the command
    ping 216.239.59.147
    (which will ping google if anyone is curious about the ip). Let us know what it says to that too.
    1) Yes
    2) No software was ever given, and yes I plug the modem in and it's PnP
    3) Nothing of importance
    And Mr. JP, tried what you said, no success.
    Last edited by iMartin; 05-29-2007 at 05:28 AM.

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #7
    K, got her working. Modem and router were trying to go through the same IP (192.168.1.1) all had to do was change router's IP, release/renew, like magic. *Edit - seem to be having difficulties forwarding ports though.
    Last edited by iMartin; 05-29-2007 at 05:05 PM.