Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just finished "Life on Mars"

Creeping Death's Avatar Pedant
    And I can only recommend it... Just keep watching it till the end. It ran on BBC and the second season ended sometime in April this year. It consisted of 2 seasons, 8 episodes each, an hour a piece. It's about a police officer/detective inspector who gets hit by a car and goes back in time. Well you can't be sure if he's "mad, back in time, or in a coma". Sounded pretty damn lame to me before I started watching it but I have to say I thought it was pretty good, like I said you just have to watch it.

Anyone else seen it and what did you think?

Anyway, now I'm looking for something else to watch, any recommendations? And please don't start with prison break or lost. Those two were alright to begin with but what is it with American tv shows being draaaagged out if they do well in the ratings?

Cheers!
    Last edited by Creeping Death; 05-31-2007 at 07:33 PM.

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    wire in the blood is almost meant to be pretty good.

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    I love the British seventies police shows it took it's inspiration from but I didn't really enjoy Life on Mars, I thought it was stupid but not in a good way. I will probably give the spin off show a miss.

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    @4play: almost pretty good... I'll most certainly give it a try

@ArchStanton: Did you watch the whole show? And can you maybe recommend any british 70's police shows?

Cheers!
    Last edited by Creeping Death; 05-31-2007 at 08:13 PM.

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Creeping Death View Post
    @ArchStanton: Did you watch the whole show? And can you maybe recommend any british 70's police shows?

Cheers!
    Yeah I watched both seasons.

I would recommend The Sweeney, I loved that show and I have all four seasons on DVD. Just thinking about it makes me want to start quoting my favourite lines but I will resist the temptation. Life on Mars was reminiscent of The Sweeney but obviously more tongue in cheek which I found quite irritating to be honest.

If you enjoy The Sweeney then you might also enjoy The Professionals.
    Last edited by ArchStanton; 05-31-2007 at 09:32 PM.

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    And I can only recommend it... Just keep watching it till the end. It ran on BBC and the second season ended sometime in April this year. It consisted of 2 seasons, 8 episodes each, an hour a piece. It's about a police officer/detective inspector who gets hit by a car and goes back in time. Well you can't be sure if he's "mad, back in time, or in a coma". Sounded pretty damn lame to me before I started watching it but I have to say I thought it was pretty good, like I said you just have to watch it.

Anyway, now I'm looking for something else to watch, any recommendations? And please don't start with prison break or lost. Those two were alright to begin with but what is it with American tv shows being draaaagged out if they do well in the ratings?

Cheers!
    Babylon 5 (5 seasons + the movies)/Crusade
    Firefly/Serenity

If they do well in the ratings they aren't being dragged out, obveeusmeant.

So there should have been just 2 seasons of X-Files?
    The one season of Firefly was enough?
    How about Babylon 5? Maybe the writer should have just did 2 seasons, for just cuz' sake?

American TV shows have a huge market. If I was an executive I would've canceled Firefly too. It was out at the wrong time.

Now I would be working my ass off to bring the show back.

I happen to think Lost has been pretty good this season. I haven't seen Prison Break though. I'll wait for the DVD. I missed too many episodes near the beginning and I don't watch shit outta order.

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    Colt Seevers's Avatar P()()p!3 $CR/-\P3R$ BT Rep: +3

Heart

Ahh the good old days!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWhV2etALVg&NR=1[/youtube]

My own personal pref would be The Comic Strips pisstake on the genre: The Bullshitters:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL6_CWkmGg4&mode=related&search=[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIIAP_-Siz4[/youtube]
    SHATTUUP!

Last edited by Colt Seevers; 05-31-2007 at 10:47 PM.

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post

Cheers!
    Firefly/Serenity

How about Babylon 5? Maybe the writer should have just did 2 seasons, for just cuz' sake?

American TV shows have a huge market. If I was an executive I would've canceled Firefly too. It was out at the wrong time.

I happen to think Lost has been pretty good this season. I haven't seen Prison Break though. I'll wait for the DVD. I missed too many episodes near the beginning and I don't watch shit outta order.
    I wasn't saying that everything should be limited to 2 seasons. I was simply saying that certain shows shouldn't be stretched over 10 seasons. Especially those where you're watching to find something out at the end and it's more about the plot that runs throughout the show than the plot of every individual episode. And I'm sorry but I stand by what I said, Lost seems really really dragged out. And Prison Break, I mean I'm not gonna ruin it for you by telling you what happens, but when I saw the last episode of season 2 I just laughed. They should've just left it at them getting out of prison. I still enjoyed it but it somehow ruined those two shows for me. Lost is going to go on until 2010. In my opinion we should've just found out the secret behind the island or whatever after 2 seasons. I just prefer it when they specify how many episodes/seasons they're gonna make, and then when it's done it's done, no matter how many people were watching or how good it was.

EDIT: "If they do well in the ratings they aren't being dragged out, obveeusmeant."
    huh? I wouldn't necessarily agree with that... I think that perhaps you underestimate the average tv viewer's IQ(a lot of people do stop watching, but enough keep watching to make it worthwhile)...And obveeusmeant? Is that an attempt at french? :p

EDIT2: @Colt Seevers: Loved that last video.
    Last edited by Creeping Death; 05-31-2007 at 11:09 PM.

9. Movies & TV   -   #9
    Just started watching the first season of the Sweeney.

All I can say is it looks very promising.

10. Movies & TV   -   #10
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post

Firefly/Serenity

I wasn't saying that everything should be limited to 2 seasons. I was simply saying that certain shows shouldn't be stretched over 10 seasons. Especially those where you're watching to find something out at the end and it's more about the plot that runs throughout the show than the plot of every individual episode. And I'm sorry but I stand by what I said, Lost seems really really dragged out. And Prison Break, I mean I'm not gonna ruin it for you by telling you what happens, but when I saw the last episode of season 2 I just laughed. They should've just left it at them getting out of prison. I still enjoyed it but it somehow ruined those two shows for me. Lost is going to go on until 2010. In my opinion we should've just found out the secret behind the island or whatever after 2 seasons. I just prefer it when they specify how many episodes/seasons they're gonna make, and then when it's done it's done, no matter how many people were watching or how good it was.

EDIT: "If they do well in the ratings they aren't being dragged out, obveeusmeant."
    huh? I wouldn't necessarily agree with that... I think that perhaps you underestimate the average tv viewer's IQ(a lot of people do stop watching, but enough keep watching to make it worthwhile)...And obveeusmeant? Is that an attempt at french? :p

EDIT2: @Colt Seevers: Loved that last video.
    TV execs over here are quite fickle. A show will get canceled in a heartbeat. I can't comment on Prison Break season 2 but it does seem weird that it's not a prison break per se, anymore.

Mediocre TV shows don't last 10 (let's say even 5 or 6) seasons in primetime slots on network TV. The market shakes out.

X-Files was a great show but it dragged out a little bit when you kept getting Scully staying with her "unbeliever" status after alllllllll the shit she'd seen. The wraparound story was the low part of the show imo yet the show went on for 8 (or 9) seasons. I liked the show best when it was just them investigating individual happenings. The Black Oil was ok but again, the wraparound story was weak.

I still like Lost. I think many think the show's being dragged out due to all the question not being answered. I happen to like the mystery. I like how this season opened with Ben and company running outside of houses and seeing the plane crash. I like how you find out Ben isn't even an Other but the son of a Dharma worker. I like..........you get the point.

If you like shows with a start and end then watch Babylon 5. It's written like a book. Even the 5th and last season was nice and the main saga was kinda over. It's transitions well to Crusade although that show wasn't as good (not by a longshot). Crusade also has Jin from Lost.

As far as understimating viewer IQ....we have a number of shitty shows on TV that people still. American TV offers so many choices that it's ridiculous....Jerry Springer to Discovery Channel shows to Animal Planet to Food Network (now in HD) to blahblahblah.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast