Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: internet switch?

crabmed's Avatar No I.D., No Entry

Arrow

I bought an internet connection switch so that I could also connect the laptop online but when I connected the PC and the laptop to the switch, only one of the two can access the internet. I already set the configuration but it still won't work.

What's wrong with that switch?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Perhaps you need a router?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    just buy a crossover cable and connect the network cards together is so simple and cheaper.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    can I curse? FUCK!
    I don't think you even need to buy crossover cables. Regular Cat5 would work.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Maybe so but he wants both to connect to the internet not just each other.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    Your ISP almost certainly only supplies one IP address. If you want to connect more than one system, you need more than one address.

You may be able get another address from your ISP (for a small fee), but it is probably cheaper in the long run to get a router.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    how about posting the name of the internet switch. Then we can figure out if its your hardware or if its just not setup properly.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    crabmed's Avatar No I.D., No Entry
    the switch's brand is D-Link 8 port switch. its a plug and play so I don't really need to configure something but it just won't work. I followed the instructions but to no avail. Maybe I'll call my ISP about this and let them set this up.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    crossover cable works fine connect 2 computers to the internet only thing main computer needs to be on to work.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    suprafreak6's Avatar Suprafreak6 is Back!
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    Your ISP almost certainly only supplies one IP address. If you want to connect more than one system, you need more than one address.

You may be able get another address from your ISP (for a small fee), but it is probably cheaper in the long run to get a router.
    lynx has the correct answer. I know because a friend of mine got a call from the cable company asking if he wanted to pay for that extra IP he started using and if he said no, they would just cut him off

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast