Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I want to smash my PC

peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    From the sounds of he has a Restore Partition and no Cd ?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Isn't it strange how AV and malware tools only seem to get used by these people when their system is so chock full of nasties that using it is all but impossible?

Install, update and scan with Kaspersky. Remove located malicious files.
    Do the same with Spybot Search & Destroy (get this from www.download.com to be sure you're not getting a fake version)
    Download and scan with HijackThis (DIRECT LINK) then post the log here.

Edit: DON'T forget to update Kaspersky and Spybot before scanning.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
    Isn't it strange how AV and malware tools only seem to get used by these people when their system is so chock full of nasties that using it is all but impossible?

Install, update and scan with Kaspersky. Remove located malicious files.
    Do the same with Spybot Search & Destroy (get this from www.download.com to be sure you're not getting a fake version)
    Download and scan with HijackThis (DIRECT LINK) then post the log here.

Edit: DON'T forget to update Kaspersky and Spybot before scanning.
    Well said.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Kebert's Avatar Xela BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    Well it seems like you might have enough information to wipe your disk. I recommend.

Then when you re-install don't use anything like IE/Kazaa/SS/Limewire.

Firefox/Pidgin/Xchat/uTorrent/Nero and you can avoid spyware.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Kebert View Post
    Well it seems like you might have enough information to wipe your disk. I recommend.

Then when you re-install don't use anything like IE/Kazaa/SS/Limewire.

Firefox/Pidgin/Xchat/uTorrent/Nero and you can avoid spyware.
    121 has enough information to sort out his computer and keep all his settings & downloads and not need to re-install any extra applications he might have added.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Poster
    Thanks guys. I have enough info to deal with this problem now!

The trouble is.. I put my XP disk into my PC when it was already booted and reinstalled everything. When I booted everything again all the old programs were still present.

I tried 2 more times and now I think there are three Windows installed. I had to reinstall all the programs I wanted to use again. I was advised later to insert the disk seconds after starting the PC but it justs loads Windows without reading the disk.

The disk was my mums from her Dell PC lol

I phoned Microsoft and they gave me a new serial number last year.

Now I can't seem to wipe everything with this Dell Reinstallation CD WTF?

I'm obviously doing something real dumb.... I hope I've supplied enough info to hopefully correct this.

When I chose to install I select the partition that holds the old Windows stuff but it says that I can't copy over that.

Any advice right now would be awesome! I wish I knew more about this stufff... GRRR
    Last edited by 121; 07-29-2007 at 12:53 AM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    game1283's Avatar "ǝuo ǝɥʇ" BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by 121 View Post
    Thanks guys. I have enough info to deal with this problem now!

The trouble is.. I put my XP disk into my PC when it was already booted and reinstalled everything. When I booted everything again all the old programs were still present.

I tried 2 more times and now I think there are three Windows installed. I had to reinstall all the programs I wanted to use again. I was advised later to insert the disk seconds after starting the PC but it justs loads Windows without reading the disk.

The disk was my mums from her Dell PC lol

I phoned Microsoft and they gave me a new serial number last year.

Now I can't seem to wipe everything with this Dell Reinstallation CD WTF?

I'm obviously doing something real dumb.... I hope I've supplied enough info to hopefully correct this.

When I chose to install I select the partition that holds the old Windows stuff but it says that I can't copy over that.

Any advice right now would be awesome! I wish I knew more about this stufff... GRRR
    Regarding the old programs:

If you want them to still be present - do a normal reinstall

If you want to wipe them out - a. reformat then clean install
    b. do a CLEAN install on other partition ( not containing windows)
    c.do a CLEAN install on your present partition, regardless of the warning...

* when you reinstall you can choose to repair - that just repair but not reinstall
    * you can also chose not repair, but then reinstall on the present partition - but it just reinstall the windows, leaving your programs still there.
    *a CLEAN install is installation in a new partition or new folder of windows, that no settings will be left nor programs

I don't know a dell CD, but I believe any XP cd can do a CLEAN/FRESH install

-I hope it helps

By The way, if you want an easy instruction to a fresh install - here it is

1. Backup all your documents and other neccessary things (this may include utorren settings) on another hard drive - the backup harddrive.

2. Reformat

3. Install

4. Copy over (restore) your files

5. Your PC is up and running now
    Last edited by game1283; 07-29-2007 at 04:30 AM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    You know, car mechanics say that the cars that need most work on to fix are the ones that have been worked on by someone that knows nothing about them.
    I feel this case is an IT equivalent of that.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Poster
    Thanks Game1283,

It appears that I can't do a CLEAN install with the Dell disk. When I get to the part where you can see the partitions, I can either presss,

'Enter' to start a new installation over the old Windows partition (which leads to a warning that an additional Windows will be installed leading to multi Operating systems running at once). I did that the last 2 times and now I have 3 Window XP installations. Theres 3 Adimistrators I think.

'C' to create a new partition. This dosen't work on the Dell disk,

'F3' to quit. Theres no other options for reformating or CLEAN installs..meh

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    game1283's Avatar "ǝuo ǝɥʇ" BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by 121 View Post
    Thanks Game1283,

It appears that I can't do a CLEAN install with the Dell disk. When I get to the part where you can see the partitions, I can either presss,

'Enter' to start a new installation over the old Windows partition (which leads to a warning that an additional Windows will be installed leading to multi Operating systems running at once). I did that the last 2 times and now I have 3 Window XP installations. Theres 3 Adimistrators I think.

'C' to create a new partition. This dosen't work on the Dell disk,

'F3' to quit. Theres no other options for reformating or CLEAN installs..meh
    Do you have important files in your drive? if no, consider choosing "Format to... blah" when installing OS...

If you have important files, I see no hope for you, unless you have a drive where you can backup.

So when you are installing OS, after selecting the partition, after the warning that there's already an OS there, you should select whether to format or "leave intact" the partition... you should backup your drive if you need to, and formatting it will remove the 3 other XPs installed if it is the only partition and/or the partition is the Master HDD when booting..

Quote Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
    You know, car mechanics say that the cars that need most work on to fix are the ones that have been worked on by someone that knows nothing about them.
    I feel this case is an IT equivalent of that.
    As of chewie, I agree chewie, that's true... but..
    we all start from nothing, from not knowing.. we learn from mistakes.. So even though after all you have done to your HDD and damages to everything, don't be sad when you fail.. it is part of it.. you learn from it..

It is good to know that some people still try what they cannot do
    Last edited by game1283; 08-01-2007 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast