Thread: Monitor Not Recognized?

Poster BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    My parents computer shut down this morning while they were deleting emails and now the monitor isn't recognized by the computer. The computer boots up but after a few minutes it just shuts down...I think it's fried but I was wondering if any of you could help me figure out how to fix it...I'm currently on another computer right now to try to resolve the issue. The computer is an Emachines if that is of any help as for any other specs I really don't know since it's not mine.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    Where possible, test the parts on another computer, obviously starting with the monitor, but excluding the PSU. Don't do it the other way round (ie testing parts from another computer on the broken one).

If it it the PSU that's failed then it may have blown other parts at the same time. Putting parts from another computer into this one may blow those parts too. If you suspect the PSU then try a good PSU in the broken pc, you shouldn't do any further damage that way.

Disconnect as much as possible from the broken pc, if a device (for example an optical drive) is causing the system to fail then removing the faulty device may allow you to get the system working. You can then determine the faulty part by reconnecting them one at a time.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Yeah I haven't tested any other parts on the computer that won't recognize the monitor. What else should I do? I removed the RAM and other stuff and reconnected it but nothing has happened. My computer boots up but it won't recognize the monitor. Do you think the motherboard is fried? I just don't feel like taking it to Geek squad because they are too expensive.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Does it make the POST "beep" sound?

Try another monitor. Or try that monitor on another computer.

Please don't take it to Geek squad. At least try what is suggested here first. Have a little patience!
    Last edited by Virtualbody1234; 06-11-2007 at 06:38 PM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I'm not taking it to Geek Squad...that's why I'm trying to figure this thing out. No it doesn't make the beep sound and I've tried different monitors and it still doesn't work.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by unbri View Post
    The computer is an Emachines if that is of any help as for any other specs I really don't know since it's not mine.
    It's the Bestec PSU and there's a 50% chance it took the motherboard along for it's ride over the River Styx.

Don't pay the ferryman...get a new PC.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Yeah, I was thinking that that would be the way to go as we've already had to fix this computer at least twice in the last few years we've had it.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I'll bet it's a T-series...right?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    I don't know...what is a T-series exactly. I'm not the one who bought it because emachines isn't my kind of computer. I've heard too many bad things about them.