Thread: Idle on more than 1 trackers' IRCs. Is it possible?

znik's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50

Unsure

Since I know very little about IRC clients, I was wondering if there is a way to be idle on more than one trackers' IRCs simultaneously (with different aliases on every tracker.)

Which IRC client do you think it would be better for that?

I use ChatZilla, but I think that it hasn't got many options and I doubt it it can be run on different trackers' IRCs (and different aliases) simultaneously...

Thanx for any help!

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    tupac's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    mIRC is the best IRC client, use this.
    And you can connect with it to multiple servers (so you can Idle on more tracker's IRC). When you want to connect to a second server, mark the "new server window" box on the connect page.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    DefX's Avatar Macula.Lutea. BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Yeah you can generally idle in different trackers' IRC and use different nicks as long as those trackers belong in different networks.

The only way you can use different nicks in multiple channels in the same network is through cloning (multiple connections in the same network). Some servers allow cloning. Some do not.
    "However awkwardly they might navigate the outside world, over the board they were killers." - NYT

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    BANNED BT Rep: +3
    yes its possble .. in mirc, file->recent servers->new server window

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    BANNED BT Rep: +5
    the prob isnt to open few servers at the same time but to use different nicks for channels that u need to register with the same nick u use on the site..

DefianceX how can i change my nick of different server and can u tell lil bit more about cloning plz?

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    BCC ACTOR
    Yes, use this command:

/server -m irc.nameofnetworkhere:6667

So, for example, if I wanted to connect to EFnet and LinkNet you would type the following:

/server irc.efnet.net:6667 to connect to EFnet

and then:

/server -m irc.link-net.org:6667 to connect to LinkNet

If you want to change your nick on a network, just type: /nick yournewnickhere

Last edited by Actor; 06-08-2007 at 10:01 AM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    DefX's Avatar Macula.Lutea. BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Quote Originally Posted by hungdob View Post
    the prob isnt to open few servers at the same time but to use different nicks for channels that u need to register with the same nick u use on the site..

DefianceX how can i change my nick of different server and can u tell lil bit more about cloning plz?
    changing your nick in different networks is already explained by the poster above me. Its easy. Just do the change nick command after you connect on that new network.

Cloning which is multiple connections from the same IP, is forbidden on a lot of networks as it can be used to flood channels and other misdeeds. If you read the MOTD (Message of the Day) when you connect on some networks, you will see that they specifically forbid cloning among other things.

I dont practice it as I have no need to use different nicks on different tracker channels in the same network. I did however try it in p2p-network.net and it did allow me to have 2 clones. So try it at your own risk.
    "However awkwardly they might navigate the outside world, over the board they were killers." - NYT

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    BANNED BT Rep: +5
    thanks to both of u will try it out later