Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fallout 3 Teaser

Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by bad_andy View Post
    Bah, I've gotta force myself to get into playing the original Fallouts.. The graphics, initial difficulty, and interface kinda scared me off on first pass.. Eh, maybe I'll have to dig up some cheat codez cause the whole world seems to rave that they are a couple of the most awesome rpgs evar..
    If you are into RPGs I can't believe you haven't played the original, actually.

It's like an American that likes sports games never playing Madden Football.

2. Games   -   #12
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Bah, I've gotta force myself to get into playing the original Fallouts.. The graphics, initial difficulty, and interface kinda scared me off on first pass.. Eh, maybe I'll have to dig up some cheat codez cause the whole world seems to rave that they are a couple of the most awesome rpgs evar..
    If you do decide to play it you're probably going to need to run it off a virtual machine using Windows 98 in something like VMWare. This game does not like Windows XP (though some people say they have got it running okay), I found that the screen kept going black and a lot of people get CTDs constantly.

I loved this game when it came out and it still plays well now (I completed them both again a couple of weeks ago). Playing it again the thing I noticed more than anything was how open-ended it was in comparison to today's "open-ended games", love it. Well crafted game.

Though if the words "turn-based" fill you with dread then it'll probably be best if you just avoid it. Even so, the turn-based is done well, very unpredictable and deadly thus adding to the vermisilitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post
    If you are into RPGs I can't believe you haven't played the original, actually.

It's like an American that likes sports games never playing Madden Football.
    Though, I haven't played Planescape yet and that's supposed to be the mutt's nuts of RPGs.

I'll have to do that one after I've completed these darn Final Fantasy games.
    Last edited by Cheese; 06-25-2007 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

3. Games   -   #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
    Though, I haven't played Planescape yet and that's supposed to be the mutt's nuts of RPGs.

Another franchise I just couldn't get into.. Probably oughtn't to have started on 7 or something.. Damn thing kicked my ass bad like 3x and I was done..

I'm of the opinion that a game is not done right if you have to use cheats just to survive the beginning (or, well, ever)..

4. Games   -   #14
    Cheese's Avatar Poster

Another franchise I just couldn't get into.. Probably oughtn't to have started on 7 or something.. Damn thing kicked my ass bad like 3x and I was done..

I'm of the opinion that a game is not done right if you have to use cheats just to survive the beginning (or, well, ever)..
    I found FF7 quite easy myself, worth a revisit if you like retro games and aren't bothered by dated graphics. Like I've said it's best played with a Playstation emulator.

5. Games   -   #15

Or it could be that you just suck.

I had the same thing happen with Gradius III. Kicked my ass something proper.

I also put down RE4 cuz I hated the controls, came back to play it and it end up being one of my favorites of all time.

6. Games   -   #16

Unsure

Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post

Or it could be that you just suck.
    I guess I cant rule it out.. I suck more at FPS and RTS, but I had difficulties at the beginning with IWD and BG2 too.. Hadda keep health cheating to stay kickin.. PST just felt balanced so correct.. Only time it got a bit challenging was Ravel, but after her, nps..

7. Games   -   #17
    Ok now how FO 3 will be FPS style but still kinda turn-based.

I might give it a whirl. I just don't want it to be totally turn-based. I like some type of hybrid system.

I've seen pics on how you can target different areas of an enemy and such. The game looks great.

8. Games   -   #18
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    The whining of the Fallout-fanboys and the loss of the totally turn-based combat is almost comical on the official forums. Personally I'm willing to give it a chance (the setting and humour are what made this game great) and I'm intrigued as to how their proposed hybrid system will work out.

Turn-based is too much of a niche-market now to expect any major game to rely solely on it, we can just put that type of game with 2-D fighters, text adventures and all the other "lost" genres.

The different area targetting was in the first two but I hear they have taken out groin shots (cue more fanboy moaning).

9. Games   -   #19
    The whining of the Fallout-fanboys and the loss of the totally turn-based combat is almost comical on the official forums. Personally I'm willing to give it a chance (the setting and humour are what made this game great) and I'm intrigued as to how their proposed hybrid system will work out.

Turn-based is too much of a niche-market now to expect any major game to rely solely on it, we can just put that type of game with 2-D fighters, text adventures and all the other "lost" genres.

The different area targetting was in the first two but I hear they have taken out groin shots (cue more fanboy moaning).
    I didn't know that.

There will be 1st person FPS style view or over the shoulder RE4 style view choices.

You start the game at birth and your father has a surgical mask on. When you choose how your character will look, your father will take off his mask and he will look similar.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12