Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alternative / complimentary medicine

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    have yoy been to china?

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    Most alternative medicine is of a palliative nature. They do not cure. I know a few people who keep returning to the same person because they 'cure' their back troubles.
    Perhaps cure/relieve that particular bout of back problems. Go to a doctor with back pain and at best he will prescribe an anti inflammatory and pain killers and suggest rest. If someone finds acupuncture does the same thing then I see no difference.

A lot of the argument could be over choice of words- cure / treat

-----------------

Much of modern medicine treats the symptoms not the disease as well. Take the common cold, there is no cure but people swear by their dayquil/daynurse or whatever thing they take that relieves the symptoms. So in that respect alternative medicines can be considered comparable.

One has to look at what it actually is that the alternative medicine is treating and accept the treatment for what it is.

Bottom line is that there are respected alternatives out there. Unfortunately there are also a lot of charlatans in what is basically an unregulated field. Do we dismiss the respected practitioners because of the quacks?

I know plenty of people that will not visit a regular doctor because they believe they are all quacks.
    However, many alternative quacks will claim to be able to cure illnesses (even though it is illegal to do so) that medicine cannot (e.g. in boab's case there is no solution to tinnitus), at best all they do is give false hope, charge plenty and deliver placebos at worst they persuade people to avoid proven working medicines and use ones that may get you killed or even worse condemn lots of people to an unnecessary death . And to top it all off they have the balls to advertise in hospices which really gets my back up.

For all the anecdotes you hear about alternative medicine working (many attributable to self limiting or cyclical diseases/symptomns such as back ache or hayfever), there is another one you aren't hearing because the person had something serious and is dead.

homeopathy deserves special attention even in the bizarre witch doctory that is alternative medicine because they even tell you that they're giving you a placebo with nothing but sugar in it and people still pay for it

edit: think i've been reading too many blogs, this putting links in every sentence thing is addictive
    Last edited by ilw; 06-14-2007 at 11:37 PM.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    lynx's Avatar .
    Is complimentary medicine really that bad?

Come on, saying to someone that they are looking good can't be that harmful, even if they've got a terminal disease.

Don't get me going on that complementary medicine stuff though.

/manker
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post
    have yoy been to china?
    Nope. I got that from watching TV and reading.

You know, documentaries and stuff (proper documentaries by investigating journalists, not fooking Michael Moore, and not anyone influenced by the China-is-bad-'cos there-are-commies-in-it-business wot you have in the US).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12