Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Apple Releasing a Windows Browser

peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    It certainly needs work on the popup ads , I know its still Beta but the "Joke Tool Bar" on Demoniod with the two cows fuking is rather annoying .

That said bring on the browser wars !

2. News (Archive)   -   #12
    asmithz's Avatar Hi-Definition
    Apple Safari On Windows Broken On First Day

http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl...20230&from=rss

3. News (Archive)   -   #13
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by asmithz View Post
    Apple Safari On Windows Broken On First Day

http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl...20230&from=rss
    Mabye it was the network sharing at setup ? I rember looking at that and thinking no way . Well when they fix that can I have a spell checker too pleassse .

@asmithz , I know its only June but that has to be the post of the year !
    Last edited by peat moss; 06-12-2007 at 05:39 AM.

4. News (Archive)   -   #14
    SaveFerris's Avatar ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
    This is stupidity. No one is going to use this browser, not to mention how disgustingly ugly Apple's software is.

5. News (Archive)   -   #15
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    apple are trying to push their software to try and improve hardware sales and compatibility.

If lots of people start using safari on windows and it gains a small/medium market share then web developers will have to support it. stops alot of headaches for apple with people complaining x site does not work with safari.

6. News (Archive)   -   #16
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    Meh, I'm gonna try it. Maybe after it matures they'll make a 'multi-plugin' like itunes where you can skin it.

It's hardly ever updated tho' so

_________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

7. News (Archive)   -   #17
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Currently using the safari browser to browse...

It is FUCKING fast

But to be honest, that's about all it has got going for it, apart from the anti-aliasing, and I like the way it highlights the currently-selected input field.

The greyness is boring though, and no tabbed browsing, and I'm a bit concerned about history/security, etc.

But I'm amazed that the sites I've developed seem to work straight off with it, which is nice (less of a development headache for me, anyway!)

Competition is good, and anything that eats into microsoft's market share is a good thing. Also, if it raises the bar on speed, then the other browsers will have to follow suit, which is also a good thing

EDIT: Found the tabbed browsing option

8. News (Archive)   -   #18
    ulun64's Avatar Poster
    A good move by Apple to make safari one of the standard browser.

9. News (Archive)   -   #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairbautt View Post
    It claims to be the fastest compared to Opera, IE and FireFox for HTML, Java and App. launch.
    Well, every internet browser says they are the best browser. It's just marketing... i'm betting they aren't very different in speeds :/

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa View Post
    Competition is good, and anything that eats into microsoft's market share is a good thing.

Microsoft definitely needs Apple alive so they don't get in trouble for being a monopoly. Why else would Microsoft make Microsoft Office work for Apple? Without Microsoft Office, Mac OSX would be sh*t [/hyperbole].

This pdf you guys may find interesting... free download: http://www.workingpsychology.com/dow...n_Analysis.pdf

Here's a quote from that booklet:
    "The bedeviling problem for Apple, that runs beneath all its campaigns, is that Microsoft's Office applications - the lingua franca of the digital world - are central to keeping the Mac platform viable. So Apple-as-underdog has to attack carefully, and is safest when it doesn't mention Microsoft specifically. ... If any Apple attack is too strong, Microsoft might exercise its 'nuclear option' to stop making software for Mac. ... It's in Microsoft's best interest to continue moderate support for the Mac, with what's widely acknowledged as clumsy, bug-ridden software that runs (or limps) on the Macintosh platform" (5).
    Last edited by Brenya; 06-12-2007 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

10. News (Archive)   -   #20
    shosh's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    its a pretty fast browser. but the fonts are too bold for me and it does use alot of ram.

but one thing i found, is that when you push the middle click(or whatever you have it assigned to) to open a link in a tab from msn.com, it doesnt work, just like on firefox.

damn you microsoft.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast