Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems booting up

Only in a Processor.
    I'm having a problem with a computer that I just built for my father. To my knowledge everything is hooked up correctly. There isn't anything displaying on the monitor, so I believe that it's the video card, but I'm not too sure at all....

Current Specs:
    Motherboard
    CPU
    Video Card
    RAM
    It's also running XP Home, which I despise, but oh well.

I can fire up the old machine and install drivers onto the hd that I'm using, and see if that works. I cannot use the old video card however, it hasn't been upgraded in a long time, and it is AGP, which there is not AGP slot in the new mobo. Please help.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    dodgy368's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by [P][RO][CE][SS][OR] View Post
    I'm having a problem with a computer that I just built for my father. To my knowledge everything is hooked up correctly. There isn't anything displaying on the monitor, so I believe that it's the video card, but I'm not too sure at all....

Current Specs:
    Motherboard
    CPU
    Video Card
    RAM
    It's also running XP Home, which I despise, but oh well.

I can fire up the old machine and install drivers onto the hd that I'm using, and see if that works. I cannot use the old video card however, it hasn't been upgraded in a long time, and it is AGP, which there is not AGP slot in the new mobo. Please help.
    Try the new video card in your old machine?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Does the machine power up at all? (fans spinning)
    Is there a POST "beep" sound?

I built one recently with a similar board (Asus M2N-E non-SLI). I noticed that it didn't startup unless you hold the power button for a few seconds.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Only in a Processor.
    @dodgy
    ---No. The computer has a new case, new everything inside it, except for the HD. It is in the PCI x16 slot, and the RAM is in the correct slots also. The HD could use an upgrade though, but the all mighty wants to get his crap off of it.

@Virtual
    ---Fans are spinning, and as for the POST "beep" I hear nothing. There is the "beep" when I have my HD in the old computer.
    Only in a computer will I find happiness.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Disconnect all the peripherals from the new PC and try to POST with only the video, RAM and CPU.

Which you should have done before installing it all into the case anyway.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Only in a Processor.
    @ Clocker
    ---Those are the only parts that are in the case (not including the mobo's built-in features). Still no POST.

The old mobo hasn't a slot for PCI express, and I attempted to install the new mobo using the old computers UBER elite performance. The new mobo also hasn't a slot for AGP, which would happen to be the old video card.

Since it's not POSTing must be a problem with the mobo or the processor. Any tips on figuring out which one it is?
    Last edited by [P][RO][CE][SS][OR]; 06-13-2007 at 02:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    Make sure you've connected the internal speaker correctly or you will never hear the post beeps (it's surprising how many people forget this).

Check the 4pin 12v connector at the top of the board.

If that's ok, I'd suggest taking the board back out of the case and "bench testing" it on a piece of insulating material, just to make sure nothing is shorting against the case.

At this point you should have nothing connected to the motherboard except the power leads, cpu/heatsink, internal speaker and power switch.

Turn on the power and start the board by pressing the power switch. If it still doesn't give any beeps you can only determine whether the fault lies in the cpu or motherboard by substitution.

If it now beeps, switch off, add the memory and repeat. I like to try to test with as much connected as possible outside the case (particularly if the case has a removable backplane) before final assembly.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Only in a Processor.
    I hear a faint beep from the mobo itself that beeps for awhile, I didn't hear it before because of the video card fan. Is it possible that the internal speaker is broken?

EDIT: I took out the speaker in my old computer...hooked it up, and it didn't beep...SO....good thing the mobo is still under warranty
    Last edited by [P][RO][CE][SS][OR]; 06-13-2007 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Grammar and stuff

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by [P][RO][CE][SS][OR] View Post
    I hear a faint beep from the mobo itself that beeps for awhile, I didn't hear it before because of the video card fan. Is it possible that the internal speaker is broken?

EDIT: I took out the speaker in my old computer...hooked it up, and it didn't beep...SO....good thing the mobo is still under warranty
    If you have followed the methods described by clocker and lynx then you only have the PSU, CPU, Mobo and Internal speaker connected. If it doesn't beep at this point then any of those parts could be at fault.

What makes you think it's the motherboard at fault?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Only in a Processor.
    Oh sorry for the late reply (4 mos past due), seems as if I figured out the issue with it. It was actually the fact that I did not connect a small 4 pin to the MOBO. So it was in fact a problem with Line Of Sight. My father decided to buy a huge ass heat sink, that blocked vision of pretty much everything around the CPU.

Anyways, I figured it out after I had sent the MOBO back to the company, and they shipped a whole new one back to us. Thanks for all your help guys, and in the future, I won't be so blind...and dumb witted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast