Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a Laptop...

Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    I thought the difference between the 9301 and 9302 was the integrated webcam, but I can't see any difference between them now.

Unless you can see a desperate need for 2GB of memory, I'd recommend you go for the cheaper model and spend a large portion of the difference on the 3yr Collect and Return with Accidental Damage Upgrade. Suddenly ending up without a laptop during a critical part of your course could be disastrous.

I don't think you've got the idea of the USB TV stick - you don't need anything else except possibly an aerial connector. If you are in a good reception area the supplied mini-aerial will probably suffice.
    Yeah not going to need 2GB of RAM. Unsure if I should get the extra warranty. I have a desktop at home with enough space to backup onto, and a 1GB memory stick on my keys. Seems a lot for something I doubt I'll use, and it comes with 1 year as standard.

Yeah the advert I got through for the 9301 states Built In Webcam, and all the specs from the link I gave for the 9302 and your 9301 are the same, the price is only £5 difference as well. The 9301 might be some sorta student edition, or have slightly different software is all I can think of.

Right I'm going to go with the 9301 as per your advice. Just adding all the addons up and such now.

Am I right in thinking that this will allow me to connect my laptop to my freeview box and watch and record freeview through the laptop?

Getting a 320GB External HDD as there quite cheap at the mo, and the usual stuff like a mouse and carry case. Anything else I'll need?

Order so far;

1 x AS9301WSMi / MK38 / 2*512MB / 120GB HDD / 17" CRYSTALBRITE TFT DISPLAY / GEFORCE 6100 / DVD-SUPER MULTI / 802.11BG / 5-IN-1 CARD READER / 0.3MP ORBICAM / 6 CELL BATTERY £417.01
    1 x Toshiba 320GB USB External Hard Drive 8MB Cache - Retail £46.80
    1 x Belkin Stone Street Notebook Case for 17" Displays, Ballistic Nylon £20.27
    1 x Ultra Mini Mouse - Ns £12.72
    1 x Belkin Cat5e Snagless UTP Patch Cable (White) 10m £2.12
    1 x Ebuyer Extra Value DVB-T Vista TV Freeview USB Stick £16.64

Subtotal £515.56
    VAT £90.25
    Order Total £605.81
    Last edited by Peerzy; 06-20-2007 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Just made my order.

Went for the Acer Aspire AS9302WSMi from CCLOnline.

Also, upon reading the comments for the laptop on Ebuyer I decided to buy 2 X Crucial 1GB DDR2 667MHz/PC2-5300 Laptop Memory SODIMM CL5 to replace the 2 X 512MB of RAM that will be in there.

Laptop should come Wednesday but the RAM and other little extras I've brought won't get here till Monday so I'll have a few days of the Laptop on 1GB and then when the RAM comes i'll install the rest of it.

Any idea how hard laptop RAM installs are? I've never had a laptop before but from reading the comments it sounds very easy.

Also the graphics card is a Geforce 6100. Obviously its going to be a laptop version but how will that compare to a FX5700 and a MX440, which are the two cards I've had a lot of experience with.

I was thinking although it's not idle I may play a few older games (Max Payne 2, Far Cry, Painkiller and maybe F.E.A.R) on the laptop because I can't play anything for more than 30minutes on my desktop without it restarting.
    Last edited by Peerzy; 09-10-2007 at 01:00 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12