Thread: 56k Users

smhay12
    [SIZE=1] I am totally amazed that anybody gets over 1.8 and under-i considered that really good! On a super day it might start out at 2 but work its way down. some times when people are uploading it seems to help my numbers raise a little but not very often. Mine will go as low as .03 and then fizzle out. I don't use kazaa very often but when i do it is for specific music and then i leave my computer run all night for people to do their uploading. Using kazaa or kazaa lite freezes up my machine alot and i can not work on anything else in the mean time unless i want to wait for 10 minutes between screen changes and that is no crap So i don't use it to much. And yes i have bought and or downloaded many different types of programs to speed up my machine and none of them seem to make any type of difference. I know i am 56k but my connection speed can range from 14-28 good day 32. i also have its very own phone line. nothing seems to help. switched servers twice thinking it may be them . didnt help anybody have any suggestions feel free to let me know what they are.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    asmithz's Avatar Hi-Definition
    Ok well i never reached those speed till i got xp pro. ed. sp1 so first i would need to know if you have it and then i can can tell you what i do

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    I just want to know are the speeds mentioned here in KB/s (KiloBytes/Sec) or
    Kb/s (KiloBits/Sec).

I know the modem speed of 56Kb/s is kilobits/sec.
    A Byte is 8bits plus a stop & start bit, that's at least 10 bits, let me know if I am wrong.

That means that 56Kb/s = 5.6KB/s, theoreticaly that is the fastest download you can get.
    My KaZaa-Lite measures speed in KB/s (KiloBytes/Sec).

So I am at a loss as to how some people are getting more than that.
    I can understand that the speed measurements may not be spot-on accurate.
    I have seen my connection get a reading of 6 to 7 KB/s but only for very short periods.

Is there anyone out there that knows the facts?

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Originally posted by ikara@16 June 2003 - 10:11
    I just want to know are the speeds mentioned here in KB/s (KiloBytes/Sec) or
    Kb/s (KiloBits/Sec).

I know the modem speed of 56Kb/s is kilobits/sec.
    A Byte is 8bits plus a stop & start bit, that's at least 10 bits, let me know if I am wrong.

That means that 56Kb/s = 5.6KB/s, theoreticaly that is the fastest download you can get.
    My KaZaa-Lite measures speed in KB/s (KiloBytes/Sec).

So I am at a loss as to how some people are getting more than that.
    I can understand that the speed measurements may not be spot-on accurate.
    I have seen my connection get a reading of 6 to 7 KB/s but only for very short periods.

Is there anyone out there that knows the facts?
    the general consensus here is to talk in kB/s (kilobytes/sec).

a lot of people wither miss out the units because they assume others have the knowledge, or they are ignorant to the facts themselves

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    I'm on dialup to and hardly every get more 6kb/s,but there was one time I was getting 11kb/s to 14kb/s average and it sometimes jump up to 17kb/s for a short time-the file was "Windows XP Plus!"not sure if I was downloading from a T3 in the area or what.
    [QUOTE]
    5 at a time on a 56k?!
    How cruel!
    That's about 0.5 KB/sec each, and lots of disconnections.

This is one reason I only have mine set to 1 upload.It's sad when you find someone with 1 of kinda unique file and your download speed starts out at 0.5kb/s and drops to .005kb/s.
    "Specs"
    CPU:High,some say I'm a legend in My own mind.
    Update! Overclocked - Achieved Demi God statis.
    Ram:If she's ready, so am I.
    Hard drive:Ready for access,larger than average.
    Bus speed:Not as fast as My truck.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    ona 56k dloading at faster than 6k is usually due to dloading a fake file or sometimes just txt files can also reach those speeds for short periods..

to smhay12(I know i am 56k but my connection speed can range from 14-28 good day 32. i also have its very own phone line. nothing seems to help) the slow connect speeds you get could be due to your phone line dedicated to the modem is actually being shared with the in house phone line which could mean it is a PAIRED line and the resources could be halved so both get the same amount..but in some cases the original line can get the higher connect speeds...also some areas have limited free connections so your modem line may also be shared with ya neighbour...these are only possibilities and they occur in my country in my area...

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    RPerry's Avatar Synergy BT Rep: Bad Rep
    I'm starting to face the fact that broadband may not be available in my area for some time That being said, I usualy average 4.0 KB/s in all the time I have had my PC. I have seen other 56k users get 5-6. there are spikes sometimes, but I'll never believe anyone who says they get more than 7kb/s on average.

8. File Sharing   -   #8

Yes RPerry I agree, I get a good connection most of the time, never the full 56Kb/s that the modem is capable of but 52-53Kb/s.
    So that means if KL downloads @ 7KB/s it is useing the full speed available.

I think that some people are quoting speeds in KB/s when they are actually measuring Kb/s.

In that case a speed of 16k kb/s is only about 2 KB/s

@ my max speed usually attained it is only possible to get a max of 6.5 KB/s download.

Programs that measure the internet speed vary in accuracy, and due the varying sample rate used to measure can for very short periods show high readings, that are not real.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Poster
    56k modems can also appear to exceed even 6 KB/sec due to hardware compression.

This is like zipping a file and sending the zip which is smaller, then counting the filesize as the original file's size rather than the size of the zip.

In the case of a bitmap file (*.BMP), this could result in ridiculous speeds.

But any already-compressed file (MP3, AVI, ZIP, RAR, etc), the download and upload speeds of a 56k modem will be 6 KB/sec or less, probably even under 5 KB/sec for many people.

And uploads on v.90 56k modems are a MAX of 33.6k -- or in other words BARELY 4 KB/sec and probably only about 3 KB/sec in reality due to slow connect speeds.

v.92 56k modems can upload as fast as 48k (6 KB/sec) -- but probably can only manage 5 KB/sec under best conditions.