Thread: US Department of Defense Is Building the Matrix!

Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    "An alternate reality with billions of individual “nodes” to reflect every man, woman and child." Well,
    it's time to grab the long black overcoat from the closet and ask for guns. Lots of guns.

The U.S. Department of Defense is attemping to create "an alternate reality holding a complex matrix with billions of individual 'nodes' to reflect every man, woman and child in the real world."

The system, or Matrix, is set to be called the Sentient World Simulation (SWS) that is quoted to be a "synthetic mirror of the real world with automated continuous calibration with respect to current real-world information."

The purpose, according to the project's concept paper, states that: "SWS provides an environment for testing Psychological Operations (PSYOP)" in which the military can use to "develop and test multiple courses of action to anticipate and shape behaviors of adversaries, neutrals, and partners."

Alok Chaturvedi--a Purdue University professor and co-author of the concept paper--comments that the "...idea is to generate alternative futures with outcomes based on interactions between multiple sides," ultimately becoming a virtual matrix to determine possible scenarios based on human behavior.

Lucian Dorneanu, Science Editor at Softpedia, speculates that with the U.S. government contributing a hefty amount of grants they may turn its use "to protect people from threats, as a responsible government working for the benefit of all its citizens..."

I'll get me coat.

Source: Softpedia
    Last edited by Hairbautt; 06-25-2007 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Sure hope I got that joke right...er somethin'
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    to protect people from threats, as a responsible government working for the benefit of all its citizens...
    It's understandable that they'd say that. I was hoping for more reassuring epithet than 'responsible'. That is such a neutral word. You can be responsible and still commit crimes. "It was the best course of action available to us at the time" they would say defensively. "The ends justify the means" they would assert.
    ... I would like 'benevolent' better, but maybe that would be too nationalist?

Where's the Knox from Stargate SG-1 when we need them the most?

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    UMMM, take the red pill and you'll see the real world...take the blue pill and your world remains the same inside the matrix...or was it vice versa?

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    vipaar's Avatar Da Reptyle Wid Style
    Red Pills, Red Pills, Come and get your Red Pills

(Red=Revolutionary Blue="safe?" )

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    FSC [Fight Club] BT Rep: +2
    Its only a matter of time....the future seem kinda scary at times.
    Proud Member of:

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    what if we are in it now?

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    Lol. Then, you better pray so they dont pull the pulg