Thread: Port Forwarding a Netgear DG834G

threelions00's Avatar on a shirt... BT Rep: +12BT Rep +12BT Rep +12
    Hi, I am having trouble port fowarding my router for utorrent. I have look at portforward.com but had no luck at all.

It is doing my head in. I run through what it says, do it all then check with utorrent and it says the port is still not open.

I have tried setting up a static IP and I think I have managed that now. I have selected it so that it does not detect IP settings automatically in the properties of TCP/IP settings for the correct connection.

I still have no idea where I am going wrong.

Also i ran a speed test and the results i got were:

1112 Kbps download speed

217 Kbps upload speed.

I have a 2mb connection so is that right?

Any help at all would be appreciated.

As an after thought, do i need to configure both pc's or just the one i am running utorrent on?

cheers, 3lions

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    shosh's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    not sure what model you have, but i have a netgear MR814 v2, and this is what i did

i opened a browser like IE or firefox, in the address i typed 192.168.0.1
    that will get you to the preference page to your router
    then you type your username and password. if you didnt set a password up, the default should be
    username: admin
    password: password

then, there is a blue sidebar with links to each option i.e "setup" "content filtering" ect.

go down to the advance section, and there should be a link for port forwarding

from there, go to add custom service, then give a service name for the name of your service, like bittorrent or mirc etc.

then choose a starting port and an ending port if you want a range of ports opened, if you just want one port, just type the same starting and ending port.

then you type a server ip address, the would be the local ip address you have
    try 192.168.0.2, or 192.168.0.3

you may want to check your manual for you router or the netgear website for specific instructions, they should be similar.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Hi Shosh, i have a Netgear DG834G...

i have been on their website, followed their instructions and looked at the manual. I am now wondering if my anti-virus is interferring (AVAST) and if that is even possible or my firewall (PC Tools)...do i need another firewall as well as my router?

I have managed to access the config page for the router but i have no port forwarding button...i am tempted to plug in my d-link again but i never could forward the ports on that either so maybe it is a setting on my pc? I have no clue!

Cheers 3lions

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    shosh's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    i checked at portforward.com, in the menu on the left blue sidebar, it should be under services

check it out here
    http://portforward.com/english/route...G/Utorrent.htm

you might wanna turn off any firewall like windows firewall and your pctools firewall to see if that works

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    i have done all that, windows firewall is off, pctools firewall is off too!

still no good...any more ideas?!

3lions

ok, i just changed it to TCP/UDP and it worked...

but i still give you the credit shosh, lol, cheers mate
    Last edited by threelions00; 06-25-2007 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    I hope you re-enabled your firewall and added µtorrent to it's list of trusted applications.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008