Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FireFox problem...

Poster BT Rep: +1
    Hi FST, I have a lil firefox problem and i was wandering if the great minds of FST could possibly help me

Right what it is that whenever i close Firefox all the sites i was logged in at i then become logged out once i close FF and reopen it, and i was just wandering if theres anything i could do to fix this problem because its really annoying Typing in my username and password each time.

So if anyone can help me id appreciate it a lot, Thanks in advance

(sorry if that doesnt sound clear, if it doesnt PM and i will try and explain or even MSN me , ,thanks alot)

FG

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Funnyguy View Post
    Hi FST, I have a lil firefox problem and i was wandering if the great minds of FST could possibly help me

Right what it is that whenever i close Firefox all the sites i was logged in at i then become logged out once i close FF and reopen it, and i was just wandering if theres anything i could do to fix this problem because its really annoying Typing in my username and password each time.

So if anyone can help me id appreciate it a lot, Thanks in advance

(sorry if that doesnt sound clear, if it doesnt PM and i will try and explain or even MSN me , ,thanks alot)

FG
    Whether you stay logged in after a browser restart will depend on many different things both client and server side;

- What about the cookies?
    Many sites rely on cookies in order to verify your identity. This means that you will need to accept the cookies coming from the site. To verify your cookie settings, open your firefox preferences and click the privacy tab. The 4rth checkbox from the top is where you want to look. From what it sounds like, I think your problem might be here. You said all sites, right? Some more details would be nice.

- Proxies and IPs
    Are you using a proxy? Are you using something like privoxy, tor...? If you change your IP (by resetting your modem, your dhcp lease expiring, switching proxy,..) then the site you are trying to reach might not recognize you as you even if it has set a cookie. Again, things like this are up to the site admins to decide.

- Inactivity?
    Many sites will log you out for inactivity. This mainly concerns sites that deal with money or private data: banks, amazon, ebay,... etc. You will never get around logging in to these sites except if you a)stay active or b) use the password manager to store your password locally.

- If nothing works try the password manager!
    To enable the password manager open your firefox (2) preferences and click the security tab. 3rd checkbox down is what you want. You also have the option of setting exceptions for sensitive things like eBanking. When you turn this on, the password will (ideally) already be filled out for you and all you have to do is click login. Caution when using this for sensitive sites.

I hope I could help you out a little bit in understanding where your problem might be coming from.

ciram

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    my cookies are enabled and i can log into my accounts fine and FF Does remember my usernames and passwords, its just that when i close FF and restart it im logged out of all the sites i have logged into, which is very wierd

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    my cookies are enabled and i can log into my accounts fine and FF Does remember my usernames and passwords, its just that when i close FF and restart it im logged out of all the sites i have logged into, which is very wierd
    Is it possible you are clearing private data when you close firefox? (Second last checkbox from the top, privacy tab in the ff prefs)

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by ciram View Post
    Is it possible you are clearing private data when you close firefox? (Second last checkbox from the top, privacy tab in the ff prefs)
    That is unticked and the only way i can get to clear my data if i wanted to was by going to tools and clearing it from the options in there.... this is puzzling me, ive also tried un-installing FF and then reinstalling it

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Well. If you have already gone to such measures, your quickest fix is probably creating a new profile. Caution: you will lose your settings if you delete your old profile!

See Here:
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile

The reason re-installing the application didn't help was because (as far as I can remember) the Firefox uninstaller leaves the user settings intact.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Yer i noticed that all my favourites were still there, thanks ill try that out, one question if i create a new profile will i have to create new bookmarks and stuff?

Thanks for all your help ;-)

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Yer i noticed that all my favourites were still there, thanks ill try that out, one question if i create a new profile will i have to create new bookmarks and stuff?

Thanks for all your help ;-)
    Yes. You will lose them. But making a backup is easy. Find the "bookmarks.html" file in your profile folder.

If you are using windows xp/2000 it should be here:
    C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default\bookmarks.html, where xxxxxxxx is a random string of 8 characters.

Make a copy to somewhere safe, and after you have created your new profile, replace the default bookmarks.html with your old one.
    If you are not using windows, check the link I posted before.

ciram

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Thanks man

Ill post back to let you know if its worked

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Glad to help out. I'm going to sleep. Won't be back until tomorrow. Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast