Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Cd-rw Drive

hi, i've decided to buy a new cd-rw drive and will have it in about a day and a half

i was just wondering if anyone could guide me to sites with any info/tutorials please

i've tried tom's hardware, but couldn't find anything hugely relevant

i have (some) technical knowledge of building pc's, i built 95% of my current pc myself, but was wondering if there were any simple things i could muck up during installation or any tips from the seasoned computer fiddlers

thanks in advance for any replies

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Tikibonbon's Avatar It'll Get Ya Drunk!
    will you be installing with other drives, or by itself?
    http://jerome.galica.free.fr/dc%20comics/Green%20Lantern/GreenLantern_ION.gif

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    It's quite easy. Just set the jumper to 'slave' if you already have an optical drive on the same IDE cable. If it is all alone on an IDE cable then set it as 'master'. Connect the power connector and your set.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by Somebody1234@16 June 2003 - 04:23
    It's quite easy. Just set the jumper to 'slave' if you already have an optical drive on the same IDE cable. If it is all alone on an IDE cable then set it as 'master'. Connect the power connector and your set.
    thanks for the quick reply

i hoped it would be pretty easy, but thought i may have overlooked something simple.

hopefully all should go well, and by tuesday i'll be burning discs in 3 minutes rather than 10.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    just thought i'd put in a quick update here.
    i got the drive this morning, about 20 minutes ago.
    the only problem i had when i was fitting the drive was that the audio cable was a little obstructed by my graphics card, so i had to remove that as well.
    apart from that there was no trouble at all.
    i've now got the system set up so that the primary ide master is my hdd.
    the secondary master is my new cdrw drive, and the secondary slave is my dvd drive.
    i'm really pleased with this new drive, and in the time it's taken to write this i've burned 2 discs at 40x no problems at all.
    now, let me get some faster discs...

p.s. as an aside, this new drive also seems to have fixed my disconnection problem i had with my old cdrw drive. my modem is no longer disconnecting when i burn a disc. woohoo

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    i was going to say, the only issue i could think of is that you should keep the cd drives on a separate IDE connector from the hard drives, because mixing them can cause poor hard drive performance.

but you avoided that mistake, so good work.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Ex-member
    The 4-pin audio cable is no longer required really. It's for analogue CD audio but almost all PCs nowadays deal with digital CD audio.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by Lamsey@17 June 2003 - 12:13
    The 4-pin audio cable is no longer required really. It's for analogue CD audio but almost all PCs nowadays deal with digital CD audio.
    i only really connected it to be safe

no point risking it not being there, if it's not doing any harm be actually being there.

anyway, this new cdrw is great, it's rated at 52x, the highest i've done is 48x, but that's cos of the discs i have

it was quite a good deal too, from ebuyer.
    anyone who wants a new cdrw drive in the uk can get a 52x burner for about 40 quid or so

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    Originally posted by Lamsey@17 June 2003 - 07:13
    Way to go, 2nd gen noob. Nice installation. B)

That audio cable won't cause a problem if it's not there unless you try Linux. Linux (Red Hat at least) still uses that audio channel.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Ex-member
    Originally posted by 2nd gen noob+17 June 2003 - 12:17--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (2nd gen noob @ 17 June 2003 - 12:17)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Lamsey@17 June 2003 - 12:13
    The 4-pin audio cable is no longer required really. It&#39;s for analogue CD audio but almost all PCs nowadays deal with digital CD audio.
    i only really connected it to be safe

no point risking it not being there, if it&#39;s not doing any harm be actually being there.

anyway, this new cdrw is great, it&#39;s rated at 52x, the highest i&#39;ve done is 48x, but that&#39;s cos of the discs i have

it was quite a good deal too, from ebuyer.
    anyone who wants a new cdrw drive in the uk can get a 52x burner for about 40 quid or so [/b][/quote]
    What&#39;s the brand? I&#39;m guessing Liteon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast