Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Karma

dbmp's Avatar ubuntu <3 BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    Positive thoughts attract positive things. That's a fact. People how live their lives with joy usually enjoy better things than the others, who are always on the negative side. I don't know if that can be called Karma thought...

2. The Drawing Room   -   #42
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmp View Post
    Positive thoughts attract positive things. That's a fact.
    lol

3. The Drawing Room   -   #43
    Quote Originally Posted by ilw View Post
    Positive thoughts attract positive things. That's a fact.
    lol
    A fact in my life @ least. Try it, you won't regret!

4. The Drawing Room   -   #44
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Positive thoughts attract positive things. That's a fact. People how live their lives with joy usually enjoy better things than the others, who are always on the negative side. I don't know if that can be called Karma thought...
    Hope you are not an electrician.

There are a lot of people that keep getting 'knocked back' irrespective how they look at life.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #45
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post

There are a lot of people that keep getting 'knocked back' irrespective how they look at life.
    No, just a student.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #46
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post

No, just a student.
    media studies or graphic design?

7. The Drawing Room   -   #47
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xix View Post
    Yes. This is the more obvious effect of good/bad actions and then there's the "deeper" effect. It's like ripples in a pond. You throw a stone in the pond and the ripples move out and hit the edges and comes back to the center. The whole universe is like that pond (if I may say so!). No part of the pond is separate from another part. It's all one pond/body of water. The separation between subject and object is said to be an illusion created by ourselves. That's the whole problem, ha ha! There's no separation.
    The problem with the general use of the word karma is that it's bullshit.

Your explanation seems better and has very little to do with what I hear people say.

1. A guy shoots someone and kills them.

2. 2 weeks later, he gets hit by a bus and dies.

Many will say, "That's karma for you".

Uhhh...no it isn't.

I pose this stuff to people at work that believe in karma and then I'll say

what if he never shot anyone?

They'll say, "Well they probably did something else then".

Saying that this guy died due to karma is purely comfort zone.

I have seen good shit happen to bad people and bad shit happen to good people (like death) to know that karma the way the general public uses it is utter bullshit.

When I pose the bad shit happening to a good person bit, karmic believers clam up cuz it doesn't fit their beliefs. That or they kick that "well they probably did something bad then".

Last edited by Busyman™; 09-22-2007 at 08:22 PM.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #48
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    Perhaps setting yourself up? A negative person would say, "why bother, nothing i do is going to change anything anyhow" therefore they never put forth the effort to better their situation.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #49
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by cullen7282 View Post
    Perhaps setting yourself up? A negative person would say, "why bother, nothing i do is going to change anything anyhow" therefore they never put forth the effort to better their situation.
    Oh, I don't know.

While I am aware of the ill-effects of a defeatist outlook, I've seen bad things happen to too many good people to agree that mere "positivity" locks one into a peaceful, fortuitous existence.

Do I believe that you get what you give?

By and large, yes...but there are exceptions, to be sure.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #50
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cullen7282 View Post

Oh, I don't know.

While I am aware of the ill-effects of a defeatist outlook, I've seen bad things happen to too many good people to agree that mere "positivity" locks one into a peaceful, fortuitous existence.

Do I believe that you get what you give?

By and large, yes...but there are exceptions, to be sure.

....and basically the reason that those get what they give is because there is a direct/indirect correlation to their activities.

If you sell drugs and you deal with unsavory folk then you are more likely to get shot or thrown in jail.

If you help people a lot then they are more likely to remember your kindness and treat you favorably.

However, if you sell drugs but die on an Alaskan vacation cuz you fell through the ice, that ain't karma.

If you help people a lot and someone whom you never met saves you from the burning wreckage of a car, that ain't karma.

Many would have us believe that the negative and positive guy got what they deserved and I might be inclined to agree. However, I will not attribute it to karma since the drug dealer could be saved from the wreckage and Sir Help-A-Lot can fall through the ice and die.

Karma is bullshit and is spouted to influence people to be "good".
    Last edited by Busyman™; 09-23-2007 at 03:08 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast