Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Enuf With The Damn Formatting

Originally posted by JPaul@16 June 2003 - 14:27
    More isn't less, any more than less is more.

(That's not an opinion, it's a fact.)
    lets put it this way. when was the last time you picked up the editorial section of a respectable rag and had the body of the text filled with formatting?

its gauche. amateurish. garish. i fart in your general direction.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Poster
    Originally posted by myfiles3000+16 June 2003 - 14:32--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (myfiles3000 @ 16 June 2003 - 14:32)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-JPaul@16 June 2003 - 14:27
    More isn&#39;t less, any more than less is more.

(That&#39;s not an opinion, it&#39;s a fact.)
    lets put it this way. when was the last time you picked up the editorial section of a respectable rag and had the body of the text filled with formatting?

its gauche. amateurish. garish. i fart in your general direction. [/b][/quote]
    I agree with you. I rarely even use smilies.

However I feel starting a sentence with a capital letter can hardly be described as elaborate formatting.

Hey Ho, you are obviously even more minimalist than I.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Originally posted by JPaul@16 June 2003 - 14:38
    Hey Ho, you are obviously even more minimalist than I.
    no, you&#39;re stark raving mad.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    While we&#39;re on the subject, can we stop with the nit-picking regarding spelling? As long as the message is understandable, why should things like spelling, grammar and punctuation actually matter?

I&#39;m bored with seeing every little spelling error pounced upon, to me it seems really petty.

I know someone&#39;s going to say "Anyone can easily use a spellchecker&#33;", but quite honestly, I can&#39;t be arsed, and I expect that goes for quite alot of people too.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Use vs Abuse

I use it, try not to abuse it. I will put something in "bold" when I want to stress the intentionality of a word. That specific word was not chosen at random among several synonyms.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by JPaul+16 June 2003 - 07:45--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JPaul @ 16 June 2003 - 07:45)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-j2k4@16 June 2003 - 13:25
    The print embellishments replace the hand gestures of oratory, which oratory passes for debate, here.

I cast my vote in favor of the continued use of the enhancements, so that I might refine my facility with them.

JPaul:

Real Debater=myfiles3000

He&#39;s gooooood at it.
    Someone to watch and learn from then. What should I look for most. [/b][/quote]
    Obstinance-The ability to keep pushing the same nonsense in a different way, or different nonsense in the same way.

Contrariness-Continually choose viewpoints which are in opposition to those containing logic.

Cynicism-Practice the use of various snide expressions; familiarize yourself with accepted tactics. Read and internalize "The Cynic&#39;s Companion", authored by myfiles3000 (It can be found piece-meal in many of this world&#39;s threads).

JPaul, you may advance from the graduate level here, as you are certainly accomplished in these three areas; studying under myfiles, however, represents Doctorate-level work, and warrants being so designated, as you shall see. B)
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Originally posted by myfiles3000+16 June 2003 - 08:32--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (myfiles3000 @ 16 June 2003 - 08:32)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-JPaul@16 June 2003 - 14:27
    More isn&#39;t less, any more than less is more.

(That&#39;s not an opinion, it&#39;s a fact.)

its gauche. amateurish. garish. i fart in your general direction. [/b][/quote]
    Quit farting, I can&#39;t hear you.

Myfiles-where did you find a "respectable" rag?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Originally posted by j2k4+16 June 2003 - 15:47--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (j2k4 @ 16 June 2003 - 15:47)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by JPaul@16 June 2003 - 07:45
    <!--QuoteBegin-j2k4
    @16 June 2003 - 13:25
    The print embellishments replace the hand gestures of oratory, which oratory passes for debate, here.

I cast my vote in favor of the continued use of the enhancements, so that I might refine my facility with them.

JPaul:

Real Debater=myfiles3000

He&#39;s gooooood at it.

Someone to watch and learn from then. What should I look for most.
    Obstinance-The ability to keep pushing the same nonsense in a different way, or different nonsense in the same way.

Contrariness-Continually choose viewpoints which are in opposition to those containing logic.

Cynicism-Practice the use of various snide expressions; familiarize yourself with accepted tactics. Read and internalize "The Cynic&#39;s Companion", authored by myfiles3000 (It can be found piece-meal in many of this world&#39;s threads).

JPaul, you may advance from the graduate level here, as you are certainly accomplished in these three areas; studying under myfiles, however, represents Doctorate-level work, and warrants being so designated, as you shall see. B) [/b][/quote]
    finally, the respect i deserve...

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Poster
    Originally posted by j2k4@16 June 2003 - 15:47

Cynicism-Practice the use of various snide expressions; familiarize yourself with accepted tactics. Read and internalize "The Cynic&#39;s Companion", authored by myfiles3000 (It can be found piece-meal in many of this world&#39;s threads). &nbsp;

JPaul, you may advance from the graduate level here, as you are certainly accomplished in these three areas
    You assess me to be an obstinate, contrary cynic and a pusher of nonsense.

I wouldn&#39;t waste my time on such a person and as such it only seems reasonable that I don&#39;t impose them on you.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Originally posted by JPaul+16 June 2003 - 10:43--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JPaul &#064; 16 June 2003 - 10:43)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-j2k4@16 June 2003 - 15:47

JPaul, you may advance from the graduate level here, as you are certainly accomplished in these three areas
    You assess me to be an obstinate, contrary cynic and a pusher of nonsense.

I wouldn&#39;t waste my time on such a person and as such it only seems reasonable that I don&#39;t impose them on you.[/b][/quote]
    I forgot one:

Overreact-do not fail to be offended by the content of any post not your own. Develop the ability to affect mood swings absent outside stimuli; study and adapt multiple-personality disorder for personal use.

JPaul- I regret I have no reference to indicate, here; I am confident you can find your own.

That goes for you, too, PBM.

-Mark Twain

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast