Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Arkansas Policeman in heroic action?

Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post

Oh I didn't say boab. You did.

It's a forum stereotype, jay. Damn, didn't you say you like brat humour the best?

I understand why now.
    I didn't say you said "Boab".

BTW-

You understand nothing - that is why I am here.
    Great! Glad ta have ya!

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    HOT SPRINGS, Ark. — A police officer who appeared to choke a skateboarder in a video posted online has been cleared of any wrongdoing by an internal review board.

The Hot Springs Police Department Internal Affairs Board found the use of force was within the police department's policy on non-deadly force and recommended "no changes to this policy." The decision was released Monday.

Officer Joey Williams stopped a group of skateboarders June 21 on a downtown city sidewalk. Skateboarding is banned in the area.

The video shows Williams apparently choking one of the skateboarders after forcing him to the ground, then later chasing and wrestling two others while holding them in a headlock.

"This was a minimal force issue," Police Chief Bobby Southard told The Sentinel-Record. "He didn't resort to anything above hand control techniques and handcuffing."

Southard said Williams, who had been put on administrative leave, will return to bike patrol downtown Thursday. Six skateboarders — two adults and four juveniles — have court dates pending.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,287835,00.html

yo

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Would the state police have taken the same action. I guess not because they are real policemen who are not controlled by local politicians.

Would this 'policeman' take the same action if a litter lout refused to pick the litter back up?
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    Would the state police have taken the same action. I guess not because they are real policemen who are not controlled by local politicians.
    How many times have you thought to yourself that crime was lower back in the days when you had the local "bobby" walking the beat? Local sheriff and city police are the same. The only real difference is the patrol area is localised so they will know the area and residents better.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    Would this 'policeman' take the same action if a litter lout refused to pick the litter back up?
    Depends, on the behavior of the litter lout. If he refuses to comply to the point where the only option is arrest and then he resists arrest then I guess he would.

You are looking at these kids as being arrested for skateboarding. I doubt that was the reason they were actually arrested. The skateboarding was the reason the officer stopped them, it's what they did once stopped that got them into real trouble.

Had these kids complied then we would not be having this discussion.

There has to be a minimal behavior level when stopped by the police. If that level breaks down then law and order breaks down.

There is no shortage of incidents where the police do go over the top and deserve prison time themselves IMO.

This is not one of them

Here when an officer shouts stop you must stop. That's the way it works. It's not "stop or I shall say stop again"
    Last edited by vidcc; 07-03-2007 at 04:15 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    After seeing these headlines in the news this morning, I take back everything I have said against the American Police.

British police to grill local doctor
    The Age, Australia - 8 hours ago
    "Most of the others were known to MI5. That is to say their names appeared on a database somewhere..." Earlier, British health authorities confirmed that Dr ...
    UK terror expert to quiz doctor: Howard The Age
    MI5 could have been watching terror accused Newstalk ZB
    UK police to question doctor in Australia Stuff.co.nz
    all 966 news articles »

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    Want to discuss a real case?

[youtube]J8c9eL1ScIg[/youtube]

Be interesting how people view this

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    I'd say justified, absolutely, and I really didn't see much to discuss, except his family probably ought to be sued for idiocy.

How interesting is that.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    I'd say justified, absolutely, and I really didn't see much to discuss, except his family probably ought to be sued for idiocy.

How interesting is that.
    I agree, anyone who draws a gun, knife, or attempts to throw a petrol bomb should be dealt with summarily.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    I am with the officer. I can imagine some would argue that he should have shot to disarm/disable but IMO he was totally justified.

The reason I posted this was an extreme example of what I have been saying about the original crime and the difference in the way the police handle it due to the behavior that follows.

I needed an extreme example as I feel nuance would not do it

We wouldn't say this man was killed for a traffic violation would we?

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post
    I am with the officer. I can imagine some would argue that he should have shot to disarm/disable but IMO he was totally justified.

The reason I posted this was an extreme example of what I have been saying about the original crime and the difference in the way the police handle it due to the behavior that follows.

I needed an extreme example as I feel nuance would not do it

We wouldn't say this man was killed for a traffic violation would we?
    Some would, and they'd have the ACLU on their side, paying their legal bills.

Keep us apprised, won't you.

BTW-

Let's hypothetically make the offender a Mexican drug-smuggler and the cop a border patrol officer.

Interesting, huh?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast