Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Arkansas Policeman in heroic action?

bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH6AY...elated&search=

Thirteen year old kids skateboarding on the pavement(sidewalk) on National Skateboarding Day. One of the skateboarders almost collided with a pedestrian. The attending policeman completely 'loses it'. Every rule regarding minors goes out the window. They are handcuffed, threatened with being 'sprayed'. Left face down on the pavement with their hands cuffed behind their backs.
    The policeman concerned looks and acts like a Nazi. I hope he is fired or has the decency to resign when this gets more publicity.
    Last edited by bigboab; 06-27-2007 at 05:57 PM.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    threelions00's Avatar on a shirt... BT Rep: +12BT Rep +12BT Rep +12
    that is harsh. some people just need to be like mini meglomaniacs...imagine him trying that with someone bigger, he would be scared as. police go mental over something like that but when it comes to some of the more serious stuff, they are nowhere to be seen. i am so glad that my taxes pay for such incompetence...

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    [youtube]EH6AYVn2yw4[/youtube]

It would be interesting see for ourselves what occurred in the lead up but watching the bit here it seems that the kids need to learn to how not to interfere with a police officer, EVEN if they think their friend is being hard done by.

If the city ordinance forbids skateboarding on the sidewalk the fact that it's "national skateboard day" doesn't overrule that ordinance.
    I grew up at the tail end of an era where the local policeman would give misbehaving youths a "clip round the ear" then send them on their way
    Today kids think they can get away with anything, these kids found out this is not the case.
    Some may think the officer was a bit heavy handed, I didn't see that, what I saw was a bunch of kids trying to mob the officer, running off when the officer ordered them to halt and using foul language in public.
    Better they learn a lesson now than in a few years.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post

Thirteen year old kids skateboarding on the pavement(sidewalk) on National Skateboarding Day. One of the skateboarders almost collided with a pedestrian. The attending policeman completely 'loses it'. Every rule regarding minors goes out the window. They are handcuffed, threatened with being 'sprayed'. Left face down on the pavement with their hands cuffed behind their backs.
    The policeman concerned looks and acts like a Nazi. I hope he is fired or has the decency to resign when this gets more publicity.
    I think the officer was doing his job.

I like how the kids were saying stuff like all we were doing was riding a skateboard, riding a piece of wood, there are people robbing and stealing and you are harrassing me.

Last time I checked, if you fuck up and a cop tells you to stop, you are supposed to stop.

It seems to me that if the kids would have stopped when told to stop there wouldn't have been this outrage.

I would understand if the cop beat the shit outta them but he did no such thing.
    Last edited by Busyman™; 06-27-2007 at 08:05 PM.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post

I like how the kids were saying stuff like all we were doing was riding a skateboard, riding a piece of wood, there are people robbing and stealing and you are harrassing me.

Last time I checked, if you fuck up and a cop tells you to stop, you are supposed to stop.

It seems to me that if the kids would have stopped when told to stop there wouldn't have been this outrage.

I would understand if the cop beat the shit outta them but he did no such thing.
    Handcuffing thirteen year olds for skateboarding may be OK under your laws. It is not OK under the UK Laws.
    The Police are not a law unto themselves. They also have to obey the law. Especially when dealing with minors.

You should not apprehend anyone unless;

They do not cease when told to do so.
    They are likely to abscond.
    They give a false name and address.
    They are a danger to themselves or the public.
    The crime they have committed is of a serious nature.

Nowadays people are 'arrested' for the slightest reason. I don't think that any of those kids will have any respect for the law left. I know I wouldn't if I was in their position.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    Apart from the fact that the officer looks like Bruce Willis.
    "move somewhere else" would have been easier.

I wonder if there is not one part of American life that is not documented.
    Deal with the "culture" you are creating.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post

Handcuffing thirteen year olds for skateboarding may be OK under your laws. It is not OK under the UK Laws.
    The Police are not a law unto themselves. They also have to obey the law. Especially when dealing with minors.

You should not apprehend anyone unless;

They do not cease when told to do so.
    They are likely to abscond.
    They give a false name and address.
    They are a danger to themselves or the public.
    The crime they have committed is of a serious nature.

Nowadays people are 'arrested' for the slightest reason. I don't think that any of those kids will have any respect for the law left. I know I wouldn't if I was in their position.
    They were playing to the camera and those around them. It looks like it worked.

If they almost hit someone they were a danger. Skateboarding on the sidewalk is a danger to pedestrians.

Do you really think that they were just simply skateboarding and the cop grabbed one up and hancuffed him?

No resistance, no nothing, huh? Puhleaze.

You buy the point of view of the illegal skateboarders. What if they were spray painting on the sidewalk? Same deal?

Again I just couldn't see the cop going through all that if the skateboarders would have chilled out.

Here's a nice scenario. The skateboarders are told to halt by the officer. The skateboarders halt. The officers announces that they are under arrest and they get booked.

I bet people skateboard in that area all the time illegally and everyone but the skateboarders like it. I know in certain areas around here, businesses and pedestrians hate skateboarders. Hell in DC, we dislike some bike couriers if they all over the fucking place.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god

Of course all you have as proof that he was arrested for skateboarding is the word of these cocky kids. I rather suspect he was stopped and and maybe ticketed and decided to be a smarty pants and not co-operate. I also suspect that the kids weren't just skateboarding but were harassing pedestrians as well. It could also be the millionth warning for the same kids.
    As I said it would be interesting to see what happened before the camera got there.

Seriously Bob, it's unlikely that this officer arrested the first kid just for skateboarding.

Didn't look like they had any respect to start with

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    Seems a little harsh, I mean for that sort of reaction by the police I would expect the person to be both an adult and violent, not just some gobby kid with too much teenage bravado and attitude.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post
    Of course all you have as proof that he was arrested for skateboarding is the word of these cocky kids. I rather suspect he was stopped and and maybe ticketed and decided to be a smarty pants and not co-operate. I also suspect that the kids weren't just skateboarding but were harassing pedestrians as well. It could also be the millionth warning for the same kids.
    As I said it would be interesting to see what happened before the camera got there.

Seriously Bob, it's unlikely that this officer arrested the first kid just for skateboarding.

Didn't look like they had any respect to start with
    Good point.

Did you notice that only one kid was being handcuffed at first? That particular kid probably did something that others didn't do (besides skateboarding).

Maybe he's the one that almost hit the pedestrian. Mouthing off and running away is the worst thing you can do with an officer.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast