Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How High Would I Be Able To Boost The Cpu?

Im overclocking the CPU in the bios. Im running an AMD Thunderbird 1ghz so far I have overclocked it to 1040 I dont know whether to go the full length to 1.1, what do you guys think??

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    what temps are you at just now?

aren't the old thunderbirds infamous for overheating?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    thats what i have found, the CPU is getting into the high 40's and the whether in the UK at the moment being pretty hot my room is boiling and the CPU isnt getting much cold air so Ive removed the side cover. Ive got it down to about 42c now should I at least try it at 1.1??

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    overclocking also depends alot on your RAM not just heat, you can only overclock as much as your memory will let you otherwise it will slow the pc right down and maybe even lock up

make sure you got a decent amount of ram b4 overclocking it too much

fuck Derby County

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    320mb ram 1ghz cpu ill attempt 1.1 see how it go's

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    I had a T-bird 1.2ghz I was able to bring it up to 1.3 ghz through my clock multiplier it wasn't locked,but never really could get a substantial gain raising my bus speed.
    Got it up 1236mhz 12x103 even though the memory was pc133,it wouldn't go any higher with out crashing.
    "Specs"
    CPU:High,some say I'm a legend in My own mind.
    Update! Overclocked - Achieved Demi God statis.
    Ram:If she's ready, so am I.
    Hard drive:Ready for access,larger than average.
    Bus speed:Not as fast as My truck.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    My recommendation is not to overclock. Isn't the idea that you want stabillity?

Just take a look at how little it costs to get a faster CPU. I see all the people trying to overclock then they need a monster (expensive) heatsink with a loud fan. Why not put that cash towards a new CPU? For $75US or less you can get a Athlon 2000+.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Xanex's Avatar Poster
    I also have a 1ghz T-Bird tho my motherboard doesnt support clock multiplyer increases only bus

I found that if i incresed the bus to any more than 1.1 x the origenal bus of 200mhz it wouldnt even boot up

be carefull when u do this, u might lock up ur cpu and have to reset ur bios

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    My normal amd athlon CPU temp is usually around 58C

Sooo if your getting 42 then hey :-)

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    CornerPocket's Avatar Retired
    Originally posted by Somebody1234@16 June 2003 - 08:42
    My recommendation is not to overclock. Isn't the idea that you want stabillity?

Just take a look at how little it costs to get a faster CPU. I see all the people trying to overclock then they need a monster (expensive) heatsink with a loud fan. Why not put that cash towards a new CPU? For $75US or less you can get a Athlon 2000+.
    Somebody1234 has a point about overclocking. I wouldn't go there unless you have the resources to replace should something go wrong. Guess it would depend on what cpu you purchase too.
    AMD manufactured the AMD Athlon 1700+ (1.4 Mhz) Tbred-B JIUHB DLT3C 0310UMPW which is often seeked by overclockers these days. The oc'ing capabilties have been tremendous and not always in need of bigger/noisier fans.

For instance I have a secondary pc with the following cpu specs:

Athlon 1700+ (1.4 Mhz) Tbred-B @2002 Mhz (xtra 600 Mhz)
    JIUHB DLT3C 0310UMPW *
    11x182 - 1.75v
    cooled by a Volcano 7 @ 45°C max load

Going higher would probably warrant better airflow or even water cooling.

My primary is setup with the same cpu but running at 2.2 Mhz with larger fan as SomeBody1234 also pointed out, but worth it for me.

AMD 1700+ (1.4 Mhz) Tbred-B @ 2212 Mhz (xtra 800 Mhz)
    JIUHB DLT3C 0310UMPW *
    12.5x177 - 1.75V
    SLK800A Heatsink
    50 CFM 80mm fan.
    @ Idle 37
    @ Load43

I have buddies that have taken it up to 2.4 - 2.5 using water cooling and running rock stable . That is something I would probably stay back from, I know my limit expectation and I do fine where I am at now.

So should you feel like playing with oc'ing the:
    Athlon 1700+ (1.4 Mhz) Tbred-B
    JIUHB DLT3C 0310UMPW *

or 0308 * would be the way to go.

*= stepping code
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast