Thread: Somebody1234 Or Someone Smart Computer Guy

I follow this guide HERE but when I am on step 7and try to delete "Primary DOS Partion" it says "Cannot delete Primarty DOS Partion drive 1 when an Extended DOS Partion exist"

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Ex-member
    I'm guessing that you're trying to format a drive with an NTFS partition. Before formatting, you have to run a NTFS driver so that DOS can work out what to do with it.

You can get a free "NTFS for DOS" driver here.

Just run the NTFS driver from a floppy after booting to DOS. Then format as normal.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by Lamsey@16 June 2003 - 16:21
    I'm guessing that you're trying to format a drive with an NTFS partition. Before formatting, you have to run a NTFS driver so that DOS can work out what to do with it.

You can get a free "NTFS for DOS" driver here.

Just run the NTFS driver from a floppy after booting to DOS. Then format as normal.
    Which one should I download?
    I have Windows 98 SE OEM.

I dont know a thing,thats why I asked

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Ex-member
    So you're not trying to format a drive that's been used for Win 2k/XP? I only experienced the error you mentioned when reformatting an NTFS partition.

Have you actually tried to see if there are any Extended DOS partitions? If there are, delete them before deleting the primary partition.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Thanx ,you were right,I had to delete that other thing first

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Ex-member
    OK, good luck.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    That's it. Just remove the extended partition first then you will be able to delete the Primary DOS Partition.

Try booting that Windows 98 OEM CD. It might be bootable. The one I have is bootable and has tools for partitioning and formatting built-in.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by Somebody1234@16 June 2003 - 16:53
    That's it. Just remove the extended partition first then you will be able to delete the Primary DOS Partition.

Try booting that Windows 98 OEM CD. It might be bootable. The one I have is bootable and has tools for partitioning and formatting built-in.
    I downloaded that version which a member called ilw posted and it works great,I am installing it right now,thanx Somebody1234 and ilw for all support.