Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shutdown!

not to sound stupid, but you can adjust your shutdown features in CMOS I think

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Originally posted by ultimatejester@17 June 2003 - 19:52
    i use a normal shutdown, can anybody tell me how 2 shutdown using run command
    You can make a shortcut for shutdown/restart on your desktop.

WindowsXP has a program called SHUTDOWN.EXE which allows you to easily create icons to shutdown or restart your computer.

To create a shutdown shortcut on the desktop:

Right click on an open area of the desktop
    Select New / Shortcut
    Enter in "shutdown -s -t 00" - no quotes
    Press the Next button
    For the name, enter in anything you like. Click on the Finish button.
    For a reboot, enter "shutdown -r -t 00"

Syntax:
    Shutdown [{-l|-s|-r|-a}] [-f] [-m [\\ComputerName]] [-t xx] [-c "message"] [-d[u][p]:xx:yy]

Parameters

-l - Logs off the current user, this is also the defualt. -m ComputerName takes precedence.
    -s - Shuts down the local computer.
    -r - Reboots after shutdown.
    -a - Aborts shutdown. Ignores other parameters, except -l and ComputerName. You can only use -a during the time-out period.
    -f - Forces running applications to close.
    -m [\\ComputerName] - Specifies the computer that you want to shut down.
    -t xx - Sets the timer for system shutdown in xx seconds. The default is 20 seconds.
    -c "message" - Specifies a message to be displayed in the Message area of the System Shutdown window. You can use a maximum of 127 characters. You must enclose the message in quotation marks.

EDIT: Here is how you shutdown from run:
    Run > shutdown -s -t 00
    So basically type the commands i gave you above for a shortcut in run and it will shutdown. It works for restart as well as logoff as described above.

To specify timer for shutdown:
    Run > shutdown -s -t 00
    shutsdown in 00 seconds. As given in the parameter section you can increase the timer it takes to shutdown. Make a shortcut if you want to this instead of remembering the whole command. Although its pretty small.
    Hope this helps.

I.am
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12