Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing Os?

Poster
    i'm currently running win98se, what would i have to do to switch to winXP? any precautions to make?

thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    BANNED
    Personaly I would prefer to do a clean install after formating

make sure you have any important data backed up and the right drivers on disk!!!!

I remember when I went from 98 to XP XP wouldnt find my modem and I had to buy a new one becaseu it wasnt suited for XP!!

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Whenever upgrading, it's always best to start fresh and do a reformat. It might suck but it's worth it down the line. For one, NTFS filesystem is a lot faster and better then FAT32. When you upgrade, alot of traces are still left of the old OS and drivers and that. It also can lead to a bunch of errors and that. So it's best to suck up and just reformat... It might be a bitch but it's worth it then just taking the easy way out and just upgrading...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by adthomp@18 June 2003 - 03:57
    I remember when I went from 98 to XP XP wouldnt find my modem and I had to buy a new one becaseu it wasnt suited for XP!!
    anywhere i can check if my hardware is "suited" for XP or not?

thanks

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Um, first check all the websites for your hardware and make sure they have XP drivers. Also, there is a utitlity on the XP cd that will check the compatibility of everything installed on your system.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    yea what xila sed

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    I have 98sec and i also want xp pro, i don't know that much so could you help me. I would like to keep all my files etc. how? i have a second pc with a dvd+rw which is networked to my win98sec pc. how and what do i back-up

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    To back it up send the files across the network to the other comptuer and either burn a dvd of them or just leave them on the hard drive and send them back when u have upgraded.
    Files to keep are usually:
    My documents
    Downloaded program installers of programs u want to keep (ie Not the files in 'program files' but rather the installers that u initially used)
    Any loose files that u want to keep eg pictures/ audio/ video

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    Originally posted by ilw@18 June 2003 - 12:10
    To back it up send the files across the network to the other comptuer and either burn a dvd of them or just leave them on the hard drive and send them back when u have upgraded.
    Files to keep are usually:
    My documents
    Downloaded program installers of programs u want to keep (ie Not the files in 'program files' but rather the installers that u initially used)
    Any loose files that u want to keep eg pictures/ audio/ video
    if not program files, then what folder? can i just store my whole hard drive on the new PC and move it back after?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Well im making my own PC, so I will be doing a clean install.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast