Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cd Speeds

how do i find out wat type of cable, its not connected to hard drive too

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    The top image is a 40 conductor IDE cable. The lower one is 80 conductor.
    The 80 has a higher data tranfer rate than the 40.

You should have one separate cable on each drive/ IDE and both set to master or Cable select( if your bios supports it) with the drive jumpers

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    my hard drive has a 80 cable and my cd drives have 40, what should i do? can i switch the cable?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    It will want to restart after selecting DMA.

Is that what you mean? If it's something else, can you post a screen shot? Or type out exactly what it says.

How old and what size is the hard drive? It's remotely possible on some brands that there might be a jumper for DMA along with the Slave/Master/CS settings or on a small circuit board near those. If it's a newer WD or Maxtor it should be a system setting.

This is a shot of the IDE cable config that you Don't want >

No don't switch cables. just pick up a newer one asap. the 40 would bog down your hard drive. you need the same transfer speed on both for a good burn speed.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    ok DMA works and speeds are better, but should i get a 80cable?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    If your hardware can handle the speed then yeah you should. I'm not sure what the DMA mode limit is on 40 but 80 supports something like UDMA-4 or better. My old SCSI drive likes the 80 a lot better but it depends on a lot of things. In canadian $ you're looking at about $10 - $20 unless you can find a throw away from an opened box at some PC parts store.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    i got the 80pin cable, now its hooked up to both my cd-drives and that is all attached to one of the ports on mobo, the hdd is attached to other port on mobo

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    How's your burning speeds now? Much improvement? There's not a lot more you can change now aside from a few bios settings.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    now the jump from 20-40x i guess thats normal, i think the cds burn at 48x o ya, and im on a network and when i burn a cd from the other comp it takes like 20min, is that normal?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    make sure cache network files is on, then it will copy the files to your computer then burn them, instead of copying from the other computer, or u could manually copy them over?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast