Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which version of linux can run on my laptop

4play's Avatar knob jockey
    Quote Originally Posted by HKM View Post
    Try Fedra or Suse. Now keep in mind if you have no idea how to write drivers then no point of using it.
    so your saying if i cant write a driver for linux then i pretty much wont be able to use it. not sure how you reached that conclusion but your so wrong.

since when does checking your email and playing music require programming skills.

just wondering what version of unix your using?

oh yeah and to zapjb im running open suse at the minute.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Believe me 4play, I wasn't talking about you.

And imo/e PCLinuxOS is the most windows like. But with the system specs I'd start with TinyMe. Which can be upgraded to a full PCLOS install.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by 4play View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HKM View Post
    Try Fedra or Suse. Now keep in mind if you have no idea how to write drivers then no point of using it.
    so your saying if i cant write a driver for linux then i pretty much wont be able to use it. not sure how you reached that conclusion but your so wrong.

since when does checking your email and playing music require programming skills.

just wondering what version of unix your using?

oh yeah and to zapjb im running open suse at the minute.
    Learn to read before you speak, its clear you have no idea what you are talking about. Now you maybe using a X Desktop but some of us actually use console which will actually REQUIRE you to learn the extended commands. Keep in MIND X Desktop has NOTHING to do with Unix/Linux you can always start X anywhere. By the way I am using Solaris but at work I use AIX. Now you are a home user I am someone who gets paid to progam now on my free time I actually write drivers, patches, fix, ect. Past few weeks I have been working on recoding my Fserv.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Thats nice HKM, all you have managed to do is confuse a simple question and promote that you are an advanced user/coder, but havent even listened to the original question, Also once upon a time you knew nothing about UNIX command structure how helpful would your comments have been then?
    I agree that PCLinuxOS is a good choice for older hardware I have a PIII laptop running it right now and the only issue was the wireless card, but with the firmware installed correctly it works great, and is very easy for a
    new user to come to grips with.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Kinda how I feel I , I answered a simple question about Linux out of curiosity . Would like to try just don't need a lecture about it .

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    It's funny, pretty much all of that guy's posts were similar to that. Turn a simple question into a 1337ness contest.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by mbucari1 View Post
    It's funny, pretty much all of that guy's posts were similar to that. Turn a simple question into a 1337ness contest.

Well he must of pissed off the powers that be , as he's Banned now ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12